Technical Help! Struggling Up Hill

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Struggling Up Hill

Deggsy

Hoping you can help me with a problem that's suddenly arisen with my Qubo (Diesel manual 1.3 Multijet Dynamic). Our other driver was out with it but returned as he said he was having difficulty climbing steep hills, and that there was a burning smell coming from under the bonnet. There are no warning lights.

I took it out myself and it seemed fine on level ground, but I thought I noticed it having difficulty gathering power in third gear (though that might just be me being psychosomatic!), and I thought I heard some clicking or knocking sounds earlier this week soon after it started up.

I looked under the bonnet and saw the power steering fluid was extremely low, a problem we had previously though at the time you could tell because the steering made a grinding sound, which it isn't now. The oil was also low (neither has been touched since last year at the MOT, which it's almost due for again). I topped up the power steering fluid and oil. There don't seem to be any other issues with the car.

I guess I'm looking for some guidance or reassurance as to what it might be.

UPDATE: I took it out again, after topping up the steering fluid and oil, and it does seem to have trouble building up speed when on a hill. There are still no warning lights or other problems arising.

Last edited:
Signs are pointing towards it being the clutch. Anyone know how much that might run me to repair or replace?

Back