Technical Here Here! Turbo from a T Jet on a 1.2?? A little technical discussion to pass time:)

Currently reading:
Technical Here Here! Turbo from a T Jet on a 1.2?? A little technical discussion to pass time:)

Yeah...I'm dreaming a little bit with the title of the thread but I just can't help but look and see what could be possible :eek: I've assumed for a while that the stud pattern on 16v cylinder heads for fiats were all the same, even without a definite answer, the performance manifold I fitted to my Stilo came from a 16v Punto 1.2 and that fitted no bother. But I was looking at the GP T Jet turbos earlier on and got thinking "I wonder if the exhaust manifolds on them have the same stud pattern as my car" lol so I looked up pictures of the manifold gaskets to have a look, and I found two good examples. And they seem to prove that they are the same :D

TJet:

http://www.protoxide.eu/en/manifold...ifold-gasket-fiat-t-jet-120-155hp-14-16v.html

1.2 Stilo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b7d514bd

The gaskets are a different shape but the actual stud hole pattern looks the same.

So my question, or rather - my ambition - is; if the TJet manifold gasket fits my cylinder head no bother then could I in theory just bolt on the manifold...and obviously - the turbo?? :D

Now I know there's going to be a lot of pessamism about this and the "there's no point, waste of money" etc but I haven't even got my car running yet, and would make a nice wee technical discussion (y) So if in theory the turbo can be bolted on then what other things need to be done to IN THEORY make this turbo conversion work?

Cheers guys (y)

Mark

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Think you might have to drop the er compression?? dont you on turbo engines??

Be an interesting project though if possible.:D:D

Yeah no doubt do that to stop a rod from flying through the block :eek:
Should probably look up what the compression ration is on the TJets, anyone know?

It would indeed, at least the turbo looks like it will bolt on with the manifold anyway :devil: Plus I've seen a ceramic manifold is available for the TJets, that would look immense also :D

I don't think plumbing in the intercooler is that difficult is it? I believe it goes Air filter>turbo>intercooler>intake manifold?

Oil send/return and vaccum hosing is where I'd be lost, and the boost actuator or whatever :rolleyes: But atm my assumption is if the turbo fits then the majority of the piping can also be swapped over, or all of it with some slight modifications of course :)

Just found this doing a google images search:

http://www.italiaspeed.com/new_models/2007/fiat/bravo/104.html

Makes it a bit clearer as to how you go about fitting everything. I can see the oil breather which runs round the back of the engine cover to the intake side of the turbo, but what is the other blue channel showing just below the breather outlet at the throttle body?

Also the picture doesn't show where the hose for the actuator goes??

The 1.2 wouldn't produce enough exhaust gases to spool up a JTD turbo to a decent level unless you were running NOS.

And if you were running NOS and a turbo the 1.2 engine wouldn't last more than a few minutes without some serious modifications .. ..

Last edited:
Lol no worries :p

Yes it is... :D

I may never do this, thought it would make a decent wee technical surprise discussion section thread, but as I said in the first post - the turbo will bolt straight on at least :p And I have so much room under the bonnet space is no issue.

Shadey, assuming turbos work in the same way whether it's on a petrol or diesel, do you know where the vacuum hose connects to for the turbo actuator? My first guess would be somewhere on the intake piping?

It may be I'm accidentally correct.

After checking the ePER the Bravo M-Jet has 4 possible turbo part numbers.

All are also used on the JTD .. :shrug:

So I'm still not sure the 1.2 would produce enough exhaust gases to spool it up to an effective level.

Edit.
Please don't forget I've been drinking so could be completely wrong ... :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Bravo M-Jet.png
    Bravo M-Jet.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Would it be a Vgt that you fit then. I'm guessing if a normal turbo was fitted at least you wouldn't need a vacuum feed or are all turbo's Vgt now.

Although im guessing it would have a lot of lag if it was just a straight turbo??

Just looked at Stu's post, I am surprized that the T-jet using the same turbo's as the Jtd's.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Don't they bowl out the top of the piston to reduce the compression??

Hmm that's odd, how could that turbo work for a 2L and a 1.4L?? If it is the same turbo then they must have different ecu maps or something? But if it works on 1368cc then 1242cc can't be a million miles away from it can it? :)

I guess the VGT allows them to be used on different engines by closing the vanes for small engines creating extra boost and opening for larger engines so they create less boost. Maybe it could work if you can find a way to accurately control the VGT ..

Last edited:
Yes you got the Vgt bit.

I too don't really know how these turbo's are controlled. Would be interesting to know how especially on the Jtd's. There has to be electronics controlling the Vgt through the use of the vacuum but how it all works is a mystery to me.

Coool (y)

Perhaps I could get away with just having it vacuum controlled if set up correctly? Or maybe come the remapping stage something can be done such that the boost only comes in on low revs or something? I know on my car the peak power is at 5k rpm but I don't think that's desirable on a turbo setup?

I'm going to check what the ecu's are like on the TJets and see if they can at least cennect straight to my ecu connectors...

Back