Technical Help!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help!!

JAMESANN

The car was in today for emergency message (radioator overheating) and a grinding noise when I switch it on sometimes. It was in for an hour and a half tops and they used the diagnostic machine thing.

Its a 57 Grande Punto, done 32,000 miles.

They couldn't reproduce the grining noise when they turned it on (it only happens every now and again) but they said that I needed new starter motor, new fly wheel, new breather pipe and new battery.

Could they have found this information out in this time period or are they just guessing?

I'm thinking of just buying a new battery (£60), but will have to pay £80 for putting the machine on and another £80 to update the computer. So that'll be £220, or £900 for all work done, but they say that that may not cure the grinding noise when I switch it on.

If I do not get the work done they say the fly wheel may break and damage the engine.

ps I know absolutly feck all about cars.

Cheers Jim.

Last edited:
I took it to Arnold Clark in Paisley. Really want to know if they could have stripped it down and looked at it in an hour and a half tops or are they guessing?

as i said i dont know a lot about cars they had the car for an 1hr.30min
could they have looked at the starter motor/flyweel in that time and put the car on there computer thing
jim

as i said i dont know a lot about cars they had the car for an 1hr.30min
could they have looked at the starter motor/flyweel in that time and put the car on there computer thing
jim

yes, if you remove starter motor you can see/turn the flywheel but it's unlikely this was done.

battery would be my choice and unless this problem has been going on for a long time it's unlikely flywheel would be damaged.

radiator overheat is just a software update (or ECU) depending on ECU hardware version.

James both these issues have been discussed over & over again, have a quick search.
https://www.fiatforum.com/search.php?searchid=5147350
https://www.fiatforum.com/search.php?searchid=5147350

Last edited:
I'm guessing the Arnold Clark you used was the one on Renfrew Road? I've used them a couple of times for warranty jobs but I wouldn't bother with them for anything out of warranty 'cos in my experience they just rip you off! I tend to use the Greenlaw garage on Back Sneddon Street. They have been great anytime I've used them. :)

I'm guessing the Arnold Clark you used was the one on Renfrew Road? I've used them a couple of times for warranty jobs but I wouldn't bother with them for anything out of warranty 'cos in my experience they just rip you off! I tend to use the Greenlaw garage on Back Sneddon Street. They have been great anytime I've used them. :)

thanks for that ill try them when them mots due
any one know the right ampage heavy duty battery to get there was a link but i coudnt get it to work )1.2 petrol)
cheers jim

Back