Technical help with timing belt on a 1998 16v punto sx 85

Currently reading:
Technical help with timing belt on a 1998 16v punto sx 85

chaos123007

had to get towed lastnight, timing belt didnt snap tho just some teeth had came off, RAC guy said i might be lucky enough not to have done any damage, can anyone comment on this?.

well gonna get the timing belt today and try and replace it myself, can anyone tell me how to do it.

thanx

not a clue mate, about 4 or 5 teeth have come off the belt and im no sure how to get the correct position.

is it just the timing belt i need to get right, as i will have to take the alternator belt and pump belt off, i take it it doesnt matter about the position of these belts.

thanx

A simple way of checking for bent valves is to check the tappet clearances.

Good luck with doing that on a 1.2 16v with its two-tier head design and hydaulic tappets. ;)

TBH, if the belt has lost teeth, it's for a reason- either the belt was old and weak, or the load on the belt suddenly increased from a partial seizure. Either way, if it hasn't mashed a couple of valves, I'd be buying a lottery ticket with that lucky streak. :(

i can tell u that the belt was long overdue for bein replaced, it, was all cracked.

was also told by 2 mechanics that with it bein a 16v i may be lucky, as there was no clunking noise(a sure sign of engine damage)
just a slight whinning noise.

was told by the mechinics that 16v are harder to damage?

had a good look at it today and theres barely 1cm of play, dunno how to set it tho.

gonna get advice from a mechanic freind thats goin to help me change the belt.

what is a non interfernce engine?, have also been told these engines are harder to damage as far as the timin belt is concerned?

Back