Technical Help...torque figure required

Currently reading:
Technical Help...torque figure required

Punto130

Hi.........Am going to be replacing my rear wheel hub as the bearings have gone and wondering if anyone knows the correct torque figure to do the main nut back up to? Any help/advice greatly appreciated :) thank you!

Most cars fitted with a 32mm hub nut require a torque of 220nm which is pretty tight tbh!

My halfords professional 1/2" torque wrench goes up to 300nm so I'd guess most cheaper torque wrenches would struggle

220nm is just over 160ft lbs :)

Last edited:
Well I've got a 32mm socket for my 1" breaker bar matt.

have you tried using it on your rear hub john? thin walled 32mm socket is required to fit in hub, and from looking around, the only 1" drive sockets i can find are impact sockets, and its £22 for a socket, wheras a 1/2" drive 32mm socket comes in at £4. 1/2" drive is plenty for a rear hub, too much force and you can snap the hub stub.

and anyway, you need to use a torque wrench, a 1/2" torque wrench is what you need, as they have the range from around 60-300nm, a 1" torque wrench is typically for commercial use, and only start at 300nm so saying use a breaker bar is bad advice, you could use a breaker bar for removing, but certainly not for torquing up, which is what the OP asked about...

Has anyone replaced their rear wheel hubs themselves?? If so once the main 32mm nut is undone does the hub come off ok or does it need some sort of puller to help it??

Rear hub nut is a M22X1.5 and should be replaced as the nut is 1 use only ..Since fiat like to be different they state 28 (daNm) but to convert it to normal Nm multiply by 10 ..So after a lot of waffle the rear hub is torqued to 280 Nm

Back