Technical Help needed - Punto MK1 not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Help needed - Punto MK1 not starting

mby2j

Punto MK1 P Reg 1.1 (sorry in advance for the non technical explanation!)

Hi all, I have a quick question/query that if you could help me it would be greatly appreciated!

My car has been off the road since November as I started car sharing with the Mrs. Now I have a new job I want to get my car back on the road. Tonight I have gone to my car and the battery is dead. No internal lights came on when I turned the key and the engine wouldnt start. I jump-started the car and it started fine, left it running for around an hour then turned the engine off. I restarted and nothing happened, I turned the key and it wouldnt even try to start. You could here the 'click' but it wouldnt 'turn-over'.

I have the car booked in for its MOT tomorrow so I will have to jump-start it again to get it to the garage and they will no doubt fix the problem but before I go I was wondering if anyone could diagnose my problem so I can go to the garage and explain what is required?

Thanks in advance
Marc

Last edited:
You need a new battery.the one you have as had it!

I thought that this might be the case, hopefully your right as this will be the cheapest option!

Just to add to my post above, the last 6 months of driving, occasionally I would turn the key when 'cold starting' and it would 'click' but not fire, I would try again and seconds later it would fire...

Thanks XS1100E (y)

Last edited:
Yes, i would go with battery, coldest winter in 30 years and not being started in 3 months will not help.

UPDATE -

Just been outside to check the car, opened the door and the internal light comes on, key in the ingnition and once turned I heard the click and the internal light went off. Once the ignition is turned off the internal light comes back on. Obviously the car didnt start (or attempt to). Would this still be a battery issue?

Back