General Hello, I want a 500, but what's it really like?

Currently reading:
General Hello, I want a 500, but what's it really like?

Hello,
The full story is I'm also buying a new Z4 and don't want to commute in it.
I love the Mini but as I work in the BMW group I'm aware ot the cost of running this vehicle without a warranty and its scary.
A clutch is £1650 and lasts between 80,000 and 140,000
The tyres are £196 each as they are run flat low profiles. Thats at cost and they only last 20,000 tops.
and the labour rate at the dealership I use is £125 per hour. Although the service plan lasted until 80,000 and was only £530.
I have rear pads and discs due.

I like the peace of mind of a warranty, rather than paying for unexpected bills

And I really fancy a change I have had BMW vehicles with out change for 6 years, cars and bikes.

As for moving closer my girlfriend works an equal distance in the other direction.

Parts and car prices was the main factor that I choose a loaded 500 TA instead of a loaded Mini Cooper d. I was doing your sort of mileage about 10 yrs ago with approx. 130m p/d but had a company card with a fuel card.

Sure you can do a lot of milage in a 500, but working for BMW will you not get cheap service and parts even if the clutch goes ?

No harm in loading the 500 if you are getting car allowance or finance is not an issue, get interscope, xenons, dipping mirror, 16" alloys (anything over that will be too bumpy). Post your spec list and chaps will comment.

New Z4 is fantastic, what bmw bikes did you have ?

I suppose we all want him to make the right decision. Ultimately a whole host of nonspecific emotions will kick in of course.

How many people truly choose a car rationally I wonder?

Yes i think people rush too much into making decisions. For me it should take a good month's of research and analysis = )

No offence, but more fool you if you're prepared to pay 1650 quid for a clutch.

why do you say that ? its the cost of mini ownership if clucth fails.

If i recall the above price is for a DSG clutch and its something people wish for on the 500 too, in my view the current 500 box is raw and a bit like the old 205/golf GTis, which is not a bad thing if you want to drive the car. I hope DSG does not become the default in 500s.

Loving the way everyone is trying to talk the new guy out of buying a 500. :D

You'd think it was the worst car in Fiats line up as opposed to one of the best. :D

It's the suitability of the car for its intended mission that's causing some of us to pause & think.

Also if his key buying criteria is to get a car with a great warranty, it's hard to recommend buying a car which will have no 3rd yr warranty at all given the intended mileage.

I don't think it's a case of talking the guy out of a 500, it's just that the OP has asked a specific question about whether to 500 is a good car for a specific duty cycle. Whilst I have no doubt that the car would be fine, I'm not so sure about the occupants. If I was doing that kind of daily journey I would probably have a large-ish diesel automatic. My boss has a Mondeo 2.0 diesel auto that he regularlry gets 50 to 60mpg out of and he has a 45 minute commute each way.

I agree that trying to own 2 cars to do this job seems a bit daft. Maybe an Audi A3 or A4 diesel auto would do the trick. :idea:

That's the thing. He hasn't asked that at all. ;)

"So i'm looking at a 500 multi-jet lounge with all the toys. I'd just like to know how it compares?
Whats the real world MPG on single carrige ways?
What are the xenon headlights like? are they worth it?
How much does servicing cost?
What are the must have accessories?
Who is the best dealer near me?"

1, We have a few ex mini guys they will be able to answer that one properly
2, 60mpg and above is very real life if eco driving is your thing.
3, Pays to shop around, can be a pitence or could be extortionate.
4, Lounge has pretty much all the must have stuff.
5, I'm nowhere close to you so can't advise.

Last edited:
I had an 04 Cooper (petrol) before my TA lounge, so can contribute a few snippets, even though the OPs Mini is much newer. Regarding the run-flats, I replaced mine with standard tyres and a can of foam to improve the ride. The 500 still rides better, though. Can't comment on warranty, as nothing's gone wrong in 13500m/15 months. Servicing of the 500 doesn't seem particularly cheap - I've been quoted £300-ish for the 18,000 miler. A mate told me today he pays less than £200 every 20,000m for his Toyota IQ. Doing the mileage that the O/P covers is going to be costly in any car, best for him to try a 500 and see if he likes it - it's quite different from a Mini.

That's the thing. He hasn't asked that at all. ;)

"So i'm looking at a 500 multi-jet lounge with all the toys. I'd just like to know how it compares?
Whats the real world MPG on single carrige ways?
What are the xenon headlights like? are they worth it?
How much does servicing cost?
What are the must have accessories?
Who is the best dealer near me?"

1, We have a few ex mini guys they will be able to answer that one properly
2, 60mpg and above is very real life if eco driving is your thing.
3, Pays to shop around, can be a pitence or could be extortionate.
4, Lounge has pretty much all the must have stuff.
5, I'm nowhere close to you so can't advise.

I agree with Venters. Whilst people are right to mention the warranty, the problems that the 500 will likely encounter generally aren't showstoppers and you could just consider them part of the running costs of the vehicle.

On 30k a year an MJ is unlikely to have DPF issues and an extended warranty could be purchased for not a huge amount to give protection beyond the initial 60k mile warranty period if you felt the need.

You only lose £16,000 if you sell the car. Why sell it if it works and is reliable? Or do you just want a shiny new number plate on your drive?

Pretty much. I always LOL when people talk about depreciation. We're not going to sell our 500 so depreciation doesn't come into it.

I had an 04 Cooper (petrol) before my TA lounge, so can contribute a few snippets, even though the OPs Mini is much newer. Regarding the run-flats, I replaced mine with standard tyres and a can of foam to improve the ride. The 500 still rides better, though. Can't comment on warranty, as nothing's gone wrong in 13500m/15 months. Servicing of the 500 doesn't seem particularly cheap - I've been quoted £300-ish for the 18,000 miler. A mate told me today he pays less than £200 every 20,000m for his Toyota IQ. Doing the mileage that the O/P covers is going to be costly in any car, best for him to try a 500 and see if he likes it - it's quite different from a Mini.

300 ish for the 18,000????????????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got ripped off on mine and paid 220 pounds!

Mine is having its 2 year 18,000 mile sevice done today by Glyn Hopkin St Albans for £214, which I am happy with.

Having paid Merc service costs for many years, paying £214 is almost like getting it for free.

Mine is having its 2 year 18,000 mile sevice done today by Glyn Hopkin St Albans for £214, which I am happy with.

Having paid Merc service costs for many years, paying £214 is almost like getting it for free.

That sounds good esp. if it includes everything such as brake fluid etc.
I will get mine done in september but by an indie friend so likely to be much cheaper, unless i have to change a timing belt at 36 k ! We will see!

Mine was 1st year 18k not 2nd year 18k as i do more miles so it doesnt involve brake fluid etc.
Also mine was in Greece where labor rates are only 50 euros an hour, but they absolutely murder you on the parts and charge you like 4 liters of oil when they barely use 3 etc.

:) I have paid up to £800 for my merc or rather £779.23 and a free car vac/wash for that happy ending, shame they don't hug you on the way out to make you feel complete.

500 ownership is a breath of fresh air, happy days indeed.

Or think totally outside the box.

Deliveries begin of the Dacia Duster in January. A very handsome car: 1.5 Renault Diesel, as used by Nissan, and 107 bhp. 45 +mpg. 0-60 in 11.7 seconds. Masses of space, good handling, 8" ground clearance, easy to get in and out of, fantastic visibility and the option of 4X4. A seven year warranty including roadside assistance can be had for about £850, on top of a price of about £11,500 for the mid range car, which includes A/C, remote locking and a proper spare wheel (for £50 - hello Fiat!). I'd say it's a great deal. Nothing cutting edge (good!) and the third most reliable car in Germany.

Just a thought...

0-60 in 11.7 seconds, that's not great for a 1.5 TD when you consider the 1.6 multijet in a Punto is about 9.6 seconds.

Hello again,

First off thanks everyone for the advice, its all appreciated if not slightly confusing?

The reason I want two cars is I had a motorbike accident earlier in the year, and shattered my wrist also an old bike accident shattered tib and fib mean i don't get the enjoyment out of riding bikes anymore.
So the Z4 really is instead of the bike, although I will still keep it in the garage, was a k1200s now an R1100S but changing that soon as well.

Regarding the £16,000 hit its true the car only costs about that but by the time you added aircon, bluetooth, sat nav and everything else it racked up to £22,500. But the fiat 500 you can have all the toys for just over the £16,000.

Thanks for the info on the warranty as it looks like if I go for it it will be a two year cycle. Some one mentioned a cambelt my local dealer (who are known for being poor) told me it was a chain. Anyone shed a little light?

And the real reason iwant to change is ........

My problem is I really like cars and bikes, I don't drink, smoke, take drugs and my girlfriend has enforced being veggie on me! So no fun apart from petrol.
And I love the look of the fiat, its the most authentic retro vehicle around.
If its not fun to drive which a commuter generally isn't (though the mini does make me smile) is it at least has to look great, and i think the 500 has that nailed. Much better than the Polo blue motion I was considering for a while. Just would depress me looking at it in the drive.

I'll be road testing one in a few weeks. As nothing you have mentioned has put me off i'll just be sure to get a good long road test.

One Last thing does anyone have the xenons? as I hate driving with poor lights. Currently have xenons, fogs and the auxillary lamps and they turn night in to day.

Thanks again

Back