Technical Heater controls stiff

Currently reading:
Technical Heater controls stiff

The heat adjust dial and the air direction dial are both stiff. You really have to use a lot of force to change them. I imagine it might be through lack of use but is there a way to loosen them up / lubricate them

It's a 2008 1.2

They look like this if it's any use

Attachments

• IMG_20231205_092837_716.jpg
    IMG_20231205_092837_716.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 74
Hi the panel itself is really easy to remove! set all four dials all the way to the left first( this is so the prongs on the dials fit into the control stalks correctly when replacing the panel!.

PLEASE BARE IN MIND THE PANEL AND DIALS ARE MADE OF PLASTIC WHICH IS EASILY BROKEN! AS always do NOT FORCE ANYTHING and risk further damage!.

The panel is a press fit into the dash to remove it you need to use a non- invasive tool to prise up one edge so as you can get your fingers under it to pull outwards! if you just use a screwdriver the blade can (and will) damage the soft plastic edge of the panel!.

I put a wrap of insulating tape on the flat blade when doing mine ! -just enough to cover the bare metal ie-one layer thick should be enough! prising up from the bottom edge is the least obtrusive place! once you have an edge try gripping both sides left&right of the panel and gently pull outwards and away from the dashboard, the panel should release( even if it feels like it wont!.).

If in doubt view love 500s you tube channel! where you can view this procedure!

Once its off you can check that the adjustment prongs( that the dials fit into are free to move"!if not try a little lube spray such as wd 40 to free them off! try to get it in as far back into the mechanisim as possible -hopefully this will work! .

IF NOT UNDER NO CURCUMSTANCES TRY TO "FORCE" THE PRONGS TO TURN!!!!.
As this will almost certainly snap them off!- which then means a new panel at great cost!!!.

If you manage to free them up with lube DONT FORGET TO MAKE SURE that they are ALL!! returned to the far left position we set them in before removing the panel, then offer the panel up guiding the dials into there related prongs ,and once all lined up and nearly seated press softly home and it should click into place again DONT FORCE IT if it feels"wrong" it probably is so re-check every thing and try again!

Once the panels back in place re-try the dials to ensure correct operation!

Finally as always my last word is if you are at all unsure or not confident then DONT attempt the work!! far better to get someone else to look at it for you than to make it worse or break something else!.

Back