General Had an incident....

Currently reading:
General Had an incident....

So, some Audi driving bell*** pulled out infront of me. I had the choice of smash into him, or run into the curb at about 40ish.... I chose the curb and it resulted in a ruined alloy and tyre. As you can imagine, the other guy didn't even stop, never mind leave his details.

Anyway, long story short, I now have a bill for £500 for a new alloy and tyre. I'm unbelievably p*ssed off and I thought I'd just vent on here.

Any sympathy greatly appreciated, it's been a genuinely terrible day :(.

So, some Audi driving bell*** pulled out infront of me. I had the choice of smash into him, or run into the curb at about 40ish.... I chose the curb and it resulted in a ruined alloy and tyre. As you can imagine, the other guy didn't even stop, never mind leave his details.

Anyway, long story short, I now have a bill for £500 for a new alloy and tyre. I'm unbelievably p*ssed off and I thought I'd just vent on here.

My god!! :( Did you get the number plate of the audi?

Unfortunately not, I was more concerned with avoiding slamming into the side of him. By the time I looked for him, he was disappearing into the distance.

I should have hit him, my insurance excess is less than half of the bill I have now :(

But if you had hit him, your Panda may have died. A Fiat is worth 10 soulless german pr1ck mobiles.

But if you had hit him, your Panda may have died. A Fiat is worth 10 soulless german pr1ck mobiles.

True, I have no doubt I sacrificed an expensive 100HP wheel to save a 2.0Tdi rep-mobile.

I'm a final year student and £500 is a crazy amount of money to me, I'm absolutely seething.

As my mam said, at least I'm okay. If I had have hit him, I have no doubt the Panda would have crumpled like a paper bag vs a modern Audi.

My other half hit an A4 on her way to work one morning in her punto Hgt and bent the audi very badly the punto however could have been put back on the road

These fiats are tougher than they look

At least you're ok and cars can be mended

Last edited:
My other half hit an A4 on her way to work one morning in her punto Hgt and bent the audi very badly the punto however could have been put back on the road

These fiats are tougher than they look

At least you're ok and cars can be mended
To be honest, it was just survival instinct to avoid the thing in front of me. I'm not even going to pretend that I processed the pros and cons of hitting the Audi.

Whenever I get close to anything in the Panda, its 3* NCAP and its short bonnet play on my mind.

As you say though, at least I'm okay and the Panda can be fixed. I was pretty shook up though, I've never been in an a accident before.

Real bad But like everyone has said at least your ok. can't put a price on your wellbeing buddy.

Thanks mate, you don't know how much it means to hear some kind words.

As I said, I've never been in a car accident before and it shakes you up more than a bystander would imagine.

I'm glad I'm okay, just annoyed that I've got a £500 bill that I don't deserve.

Sorry to hear that Matt, I got cut up by an A4 on a slip road and nearly had a crash earlier today :(

Audi drivers eh!

Glad to hear you're okay, how about seizing the opportunity to grab some aftermarket/ different wheels? ;)

Sorry to hear that Matt, I got cut up by an A4 on a slip road and nearly had a crash earlier today :(

Audi drivers eh!

Glad to hear you're okay, how about seizing the opportunity to grab some aftermarket/ different wheels? ;)
I'm just glad nothing more serious than a ruined wheel occured.

I won't be replacing my alloys with aftermarket equivalents, I don't think my insurance company would find that an acceptable thing to do.

I would replace them with Punto Sport alloys if I was older, but insurance is still key at 21 unfortunately :(.

Last edited:
I'm just glad nothing more serious than a ruined wheel occured.

I won't be replacing my alloys with aftermarket equivalents, I don't think my insurance company would find that an acceptable thing to do.

I would replace them with Punto Sport alloys if I was older, but insurance is still key at 21 unfortunately :(.

It's an unpleasant business.On the topic of wheels, it might be worth phoning the insurance to 'test the water'. As you know, I swapped my 100HP onto Punto Sporting wheels a few years back - they're 6.0x15 rather than 6.5x15 and sit 5mm closer to the hub. Not that you'd notice any of this.Anyhoo, I advised the insurer and they 'noted' but made no additional charge (I'd already advised I was on 195/50R15s........I tell them everything, just to be sure).Always stacks of them on ebay and cheaper than the 100hp......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-punt...494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9b1b549e

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As everyone else has said, as long as your ok buddy and the little HP lives to fight another day... Karma will catch up with the Aldi driver.. whether in the form of a points tot up or a missed monthly target..... it'll happen.
biggrin.gif

lots of slagging off of audi drivers here, maybe the op was driving too quickly and the audi driver didn't see him. We will never know. Over on a audi forum there's someone telling a story of how he had pulled out on someone and they had binned it because they where driving to fast.
Get a dashcam for next time.

I am sorry to hear this, you should have gone straight onto the idiot, he deserved it!

Speaking from experience.......I've done 3 avoidance techniques over the years:

1. The Kerb
2. The sharp turn and roll (Mk1 panda, somersaulted sideways)
3. The side impact into the other car

Results:

1. Hurt pride and damaged wheel/suspension
2. Not a scratch and my car a write-off
3. Kneecap turned into muesli, fractured vertebra and car a write-off

On the whole, I'd choose the kerb avoidance technique, with obvious caveats.

The fact that Matt can avoid going through the insurance is probably a benefit, though it will not look that way right now. Both insurers would have pushed for shared blame and his future insurance options compromised.

Best to focus on fixing the car and looking forward. Easier said than done.

MORE PUNTO WHEELS
Quite why people use the plural 'wheels' without obviously stating the number is beyond me.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-tyres/185-55-r15-4stud-fiat-4x-wheels/1103694327

http://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims...heels-tyres-4x98-coupe-bravo-stilo/1103892343

http://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-tyres/fiat-punto-alloys/1104110904

Last edited:

Condolences Matt. That 'morning after' feeling is one of the worst in the world - I've been there, more than once.

Your instincts are sound - you did the right thing. Your quick thinking turned an accident into an incident and although I know it is a lot of money to you right now, once the wheel is replaced you can draw a line under this and move forward - far better than spending the next few months waiting for endless forms to drop throught the letterbox and potentially having insurance problems for the next four years.

Let's hope you get lucky and a replacement wheel turns up soon at a good price. £500 is crazy expensive - look here; if you buy 4, you could get the rest of the car thrown in for free!.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Would a dash cam have helped in this situation?
I've got them front and rear, but I often wonder how useful they really are.

As i said earlier what was the other side of the story. Maybe the op was going to quick and there was a misjudgement of speed by both parties. Also everyone that slags off the Audi driver, can you honestley say that you've never made a mistake whilst driving at all ever.

Back