General Gutted

Currently reading:
General Gutted

Just been out for the best drive this summer which ended in disaster with with two written off alloy wheels due to a humungous pot hole!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Looking to get compensation from the local council but won't hold by breath!!.

Now looking for 2 Matrix Mondo 17" alloy wheels. Can anyone advise where I can get them?

Attachments

• Barchetta Damage 012.jpg
    Barchetta Damage 012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • Barchetta Damage 009.jpg
    Barchetta Damage 009.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Just been out for the best drive this summer which ended in disaster with with two written off alloy wheels due to a humungous pot hole!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Looking to get compensation from the local council but won't hold by breath!!.

Now looking for 2 Matrix Mondo 17" alloy wheels. Can anyone advise where I can get them?

Ouch, take multiple photos with the street name/sign included. If they don't give compensation, make them; through legal means.

Ouch, take multiple photos with the street name/sign included. If they don't give compensation, make them; through legal means.

Thanks, Yeah, I've taken a whole lot of photos and measurements. The hole is 5 inchs deep and 55 inches long, on an unclassified country road. Phoned the council straight away and lodged details of my intention to claim. We'll see how it goes but meanwhile "Black Beauty" is off the road and crying quietly in her garage:cry::cry:

Quick trot down to the local CAB for legal advice won't harm. If you are prepared to be a real pain..threaten legal action...get the photo in the local paper on the letters page etc then they might pay you something. But they won't, ever, admit liability. If they did every T D & H would start claiming. The best you will get is an 'ex-gratia' goodwill payment.

Do go ahead with yr claim, but alloy wheels can be fixed. I did the same with mine a few months back, damaged both the rim and suspension top mount..

Luckily i was on my way to changing my suspension so that was sorted, The alloy rim looked just like yrs and was repaired.

Good luck with your claim. If you havent done so already, you will need to get some better pics though. Lay a tape measure adjacent to the hole and include it in the photo. Tape a ruler to a piece of wood and photo this to show the depth. Measure the full width of the road at a few points nearby and make sure that the hole is in part of the average width of the carriageway. I don't want to sound negative but the grass on the photo shows this is very close to the edge of the metaled surface and the council may argue that the hole is not in the actual carriageway. I would not use this photo for my claim but would retake it, or crop it to remove the grass, if possible. If you are confident that the hole is in the carriageway and thus poses a danger to road users, you might consider reporting it to the Police. If they also contact the council and the hole is repaired, even temporarily, there will be a perceived immediate admission of responsibility for the hole. Hope this helps.

Steve

Ouch, good luck with the claim. Mate of mine had a similar thing in an RS6 earlier this year just after the snow, hit a pot-hole at speed, shattered one side of the magnesium alloy and caused a blowout (luckily without serious consequence).

Local council did not apologise and would not admit liability but thanked him for letting them know about the pot-hole!

Well the bad news is my local wheel restorer says the wheels are a write off and too damaged to repair sucessfully. The even worse news is that the importer states the wheels (Matrix Torques 17") are discontinued so it looks like 4 new wheels are needed.

I've seen a few places on the net who advertise repairs but not too convinced how sucessful a repair would be and if it is worth the trouble as the companies are all 100s of miles away from me.

As far as new wheels, I'm not too sure just what to put on and price is important. I Like wheels with broad spokes which don't show too much of the brakes and suspension. I was also wondering about trying to source some original Barchetta wheels. Anyone with any ideas re new or original wheels?:bang::cry::bang::cry:

Advice gladly received

shame you're way up in Montrose, I have a set of original steel wheels that would get you back on the road. I replaced them with brand new originals from DTR .. not the cheapest option, but I'm so glad I spent the money every time I look at the car (and didn't fall for the Halfords cheaper wobble bolt type option!)

Well the council hasn't paid up as they do not believe they were negligent. No surprise there.

All four wheels scrapped as 46kg of Aluminium Alloy (£25 in my back pocket) and 4 new wheels and tyres now fitted. Took the oppertunity to go down from 17" to 16" and must admit car drives a lot better now with a much nicer ride. Think the new wheels suit the car better too, so every cloud has a silver lining!!.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Sorry to hear about the claim. Some of the roads up your way are terrible (even thought they seem to be digging them up every other day).The new wheels look good though. Still miss the wee car but hopefully your luck will get better with her now.

P.s I had a 130 arbarth in black back in 91 best car I have ever owned

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Hope you can see from the photos that I'm looking after the little car. She's not been out in the rain since I got her. Problem is I don't get out in her very much at all.

Just thinking, cant decide if the car is a "she" or a "he". Thinks it's possibly too beautiful to be anything other than a girl.

You're right about the Abarth 130TC. It was the best car I've ever owned too. I did some digging on the Abarth owners website and it seems mine is still on the go and currently being restored. I made the mistake of selling it. A mistake I don't intend to make with this lovely Barchetta. (y)

Back