Technical Gutted - First massive B fail

Currently reading:
Technical Gutted - First massive B fail

doolahrock

Hey folks

Had a B incident today and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it before it goes off to be assessed (want to prepare myself for the horror).

Was all going fine today until the steering wheel starting going odd. Much like when you get a flat. That sorted itself out then a few hundred yards later a massive rattling/clunking from underneath the car and then the power just vanished. No drive at all.

Was on my way to film a wedding so I've had not time to investigate as I only got back at 1.25 am after a double header of recovery trips, 90 miles in all.

My only thought (not mechanical at all) is that it might be the drive shaft. Any advances on that.

Cheers for now (holds head in hands and begins to rock back and forth)

Jon

Had a chance to have a feel around when the car was being loaded up (hammering with rain yesterday so didn't bother) and turns out the wheel bearing is away. Hopefully it hasn't caused any other damage and might get away with a cheapish repair

Yeah, my first fear was gearbox. That would have been horrible. Saying that, discussions with my wife are leading us towards a trade in for 500 Abarth at the moment.

I refuse to do a scrap deal though....couldn't bear it. Wee blue must live on. Should point out that I was on my way to a wedding video shoot at the time and I'm thinking that I really can't afford to have a car I can't rely on for that kind of job. You can't get away with being late for that kind of gig...and it's my business as well. I would usually have had the Bravo on the day but my wife works 2 days a week out of leeds and it made more sense fuel (and mileage) wise for her to take the Bravo. Edinburgh to Leeds is a hell of a trek.

I've been lusting after the Abarth for months now and this may just be the push.

How often has 'Wee Blue' let you down? Like women..sometimes they play up for wanting a little TLC. I had a wheel bearing go at 17k (some kind of record) and nothing else until the crappy Meta alarm /immobiliser locked the car down at 45k, other than that its been faultless.

Mind you I also have a Mundano diesel and that's been 100% reliable from day 1 (nothing at all has gone wrong) and its got 95k up so far.

Drive shaft failure is usually a result of a seized bearing.
Sound like your bearing failed, heaed and seized, which snapped your drive shaft. That can happen with any front wheel drive car.
Both of them are relatively easy and not-that-expensive to fix. No reason whatsoever to consider scrapping the car.
Cheer up!

ok, so the abarth is a pretty cool car... but it is NO b!

so far my b has been pretty reliable compared to most of my previous cars. one early problem and since then fine. hopefully this will be your big bill...

my previous alfas (particulary the 156) ate cash. and the stilo abarth ate tires at an alarming rate.

hope its not too expensive.

Yeah, I'm not racing to get rid or anything. Just looks like from a practical (yawn) point of view that changing car might be the best option. It's a serious struggle to fit all my gear into the B. If I had to be away for a few days and take luggage as well I'd be pretty stuffed. It's a good possibility with my wifes new job.

Also, every new tiny scratch or stone chip I find is like being stabbed in the heart. Through no fault of its own it does cause me a lot of heartache...a lot of joy too obviously.

Also, it's due a cambelt change in a few months time, if you go by the FIAT service scehdule. I would probably need to spend about £600 to get the body work upto where I want to be just to be smacked in the face by some ass scratching it.

I don't know. Off on holiday for 5 days come Saturday so will have a good think during that.

You need a bigger car for work. 4 doors and a decent boot and bodywork able to take a few knocks. Volvo estate anybody? The keep the B as special: only out on sunny high days and holidays.

Think how it will feel when you have a new car!

I've had that before. It's still way worse with the B.

It's also coming up to a cambelt change as well. Hitting the 93000 km mark does seem to be the point where parts start to give way. Wheel bearings especially.

No one can find the cause of that damn knocking noise either.

If I do get rid of it of I fully intend to buy another at some point. But would have to have a house with a garage first I think. The B is just parked on the street at the moment which isn't ideal.

Nae luck Jon but don't dare sell the car! You are the second Scottish 'b' owner to be contemplating that in the last couple of months:eek: Yes, they can be expensive at times but they are really great cars and you'd miss out on the Christmas meeting(y)

Back