Technical Guidance

Currently reading:
Technical Guidance

The electronic speed sensor can be replaced with a cable if you get this box.

I have a Shumacher 1100 MPI and a standard 1100 MPI and they have the same box with different ratios. Both are Euro 3 type cars.

If that's right, then I very much suspect that your Schumaker has the wet driveshafts, in which case there's no way, no way in the world, that it's a straight swap for the Sporting box.

AFAIK, there are two, and only two, gearbox types for the 1100 Sei. There's the Sporting box, which has dry (grease filled) driveshafts, and the type in which the lobes for CV joint tripods engage directly with the diff housing and are lubed by gearbox oil (wet driveshafts).

The first are very similar to the Cinq Sporting boxes. You can distinguish them most easily by peeking under the passenger side looking along the driveshaft. On the Sporting types, the driveshaft enters the differential housing through an oil seal which is part of an alloy bracket held on by 4 bolts. On these, you can actually see the shaft pass through the oil seal and the CV joints are distinct
and discreet units -- take the driveshaft off and you have two intact and complete CV joints on it, no exposed tripod. On the wet ones, the inboard tripod fits into the differential housing, pull the shaft and the tripods are exposed.

I have two Cinq Sportings (Blue and Yellow) and a Sei MPI S (Orange). Orange came fitted from the factory with a gearbox with the wet driveshafts but -- by a fortuitous mistake -- decided to empty all its gearbox oil through the CV boot and destroy its gearbox. I replaced the lot with a dry Sporting box. Gearbox, driveshafts, cables, modified the starter motor to fit, changed the reversing switch connector. Oh what joy...............:bang:

So, the type with wet driveshafts is very different to the type with dry driveshafts (which I think are preferable anyway).

I'm pretty sure that the Sei Sporting box has a fitting for the reverse inhibitor cable which has some kind of blanking plate over it. I wonder whether that plate is actually a reverse inhibitor inhibitor (so to speak) and could be swapped over from one box to the other?

Some Seic 1100s had the C526 gearbox fitted to S-SX-Van, (wet type/recessed cups) and all 900s have them, It may have something to do with the Citimatic clutch that was introduced so Fiat had to get rid of these gearbox's somehow. These boxes are s**t. Not all Seicento 1100s in Euro 3 spec
have C514 boxes fitted (the same as the cinq sporting) but the C514 will have the reverse inhibiter hole blanked. The Spi Sx seicento with the C514 box has different ratios to the sporting as does the Abarth sports pack (very rare) which has a different 5th gear to the standard sporting. I beleive this was the same 5th gear option that was offered by novitec also.

Last edited:
Back