Technical Guidance

Currently reading:
Technical Guidance

Right then folks. Im faced with problems and need guidance on:

1.Clutch Change

2. Gearbox Change

3. Wheel Bearing Change

I need to know whether i can perform thes DIY stylee and whether there is a guide to help me do so.

Cheers

Ginner

It's all been touched on (do a search) but AFAIK there is no guide (yet).

All DIYable, the clutch and gearbox change really needs 2 people some of the time. Make sure you get the right gearbox!

If it's a front wheel bearing it's easier to have a garage or engineering shop press the bearing in. If it's a rear, then the new hub comes complete with a new bearing so it's easier still.

Haynes manual is pretty good for these items, well worth buying.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So, now i need to source parts:

1. Clutch

What is suitable? Found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-SEICENTO...ryZ10382QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

a) Is this correct for a sei sporting? Or am i better of getting the clutch that the local factor will provide?

It'll do fine. But I'd see if your local factor is cheaper.
2. Gearbox

What will? I know there is a lot of interchangeability between seis and cinqs, but this include the gearbox?

Not quite, although the Sportings are very similar. Note that the S and SX Sei boxes (even the 1100 ones) use different drive shafts and cables, so you really have to have a Sporting one.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So idealy i need a sei sporting one if i dont want to lose the fun of driving. But will a cinq sporting have the same effect? I meant that s and sx wernt included.

Cheers

Ginner

So idealy i need a sei sporting one if i dont want to lose the fun of driving. But will a cinq sporting have the same effect? I meant that s and sx wernt included.

Cheers

Ginner

The gearing is the same, but the box has a reverse inhibitor cable (on the Cinq Sporting). Also, you've got an electronic sppedo (and maybe power steering) which requires the speed sensor only the Sei Sporting has (well, the other Seis have it, but those boxes won't fit for other reasons).

While it might be possible to adapt a Cinq Sporting box to fit a Sei Sporting, I've yet to meet anyone who has. Best source a Sei one. If you email enough breakers, one will turn up.

Right sent out a few emails and joined a few of them online breaker sites what do it for you.

Got a quote back for 176.00 delivered. Seen as ive never brought anything like this just wandered whether thats a fair price. I know it depends on condition and mileage etc.

But what should i be paying for a decent low mileage one?

Cheers

Ginner

Got a quote back for 176.00 delivered. Seen as ive never brought anything like this just wandered whether thats a fair price. I know it depends on condition and mileage etc.

But what should i be paying for a decent low mileage one?

Cheers

Ginner

With a 3 months guarantee on a 10,000 mile one, that's not too bad. Try offering them £150 delivered.;)

They are making a lot of money on this, so haggling is worthwhile!

Ive hopefully got a cinq sporting box, of someone on here for collection. It needs a bit o tlc but hopefully will be fine after then. What sort of work am i looking at to get this to fit the sei (its and SPI)? If any?

And also are the clutch's from SPI and MPI seis the same?

Cheers

Ginner

Cinq and seic sporting, Including Abarth Seic Euro 3 all use the C514 gearbox with the same final drive and gear ratios.
Spi/Mpi clutches are the same.
The gearbox to go for if you plan on tuning is the Seic euro 3 MPI 1100 non sporting as 3rd/4th/5th gear ratios are lower and a second hand one should have lowish mileage.

Last edited:
The gearbox to go for if you plan on tuning is the Seic euro 3 MPI 1100 non sporting as 3rd/4th/5th gear ratios are lower and a second hand one should have lowish mileage.

But

a. It's a rubbish box (and 5th, at least, is higher!)
b. You need to change the cables, starter motor, driveshafts, clutch cable and reversing light connector -- even if there were any benifits, this makes it financially impractical
c. It's a wet gearbox

All in all, it's a really crappy idea! Furthermore, if you fit a Cinq box there may or may not (never tried it) be issues with the speedo drive........

But

b. You need to change the cables, starter motor, driveshafts, clutch cable and reversing light connector -- even if there were any benifits, this makes it financially impractical
c. It's a wet gearbox

Your thinking of the C526 gearbox.

But

c. It's a wet gearbox

Your thinking of the C526 gearbox.

Yes, but by saying
MPI 1100 non sporting as 3rd/4th/5th gear ratios are lower and a second hand one should have lowish mileage.
When you mean the "Sei Sporting Abarth gearbox", you're leaving the door open to misunderstandings.

That gearbox would be a good choice, but it's not exactly common.

The electronic speed sensor can be replaced with a cable if you get this box.

I have a Shumacher 1100 MPI and a standard 1100 MPI and they have the same box with different ratios. Both are Euro 3 type cars.

Last edited:
Back