Technical Grande Sporting MultiJet Running Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Sporting MultiJet Running Issue

Hello all,

A friend of mine has a 56 plate MultiJet Sporting that has recently started playing up. On Thursday he said it started struggling to rev and wouldn't go past 20mph.

On Saturday we had a look at it and couldn't even get it to start.

We disconnected the MAF, removed and cleaned the EGR and attempted to locate a DPF. I just assumed it had one but have since been informed that as his Grande has another box between the CAT and backbox that it doesn't have a DPF fitted.

As you have probably guessed none of the above worked.

Anyway my question is what should we try next?

I'm not a hugely technical person so forgive me if I say something silly. If it was a petrol car I would be working through the ignition system (coil pack, HT leads, plugs etc).

Does his being a diesel with glow plugs still make any of the above relevant?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Hello all,

A friend of mine has a 56 plate MultiJet Sporting that has recently started playing up. On Thursday he said it started struggling to rev and wouldn't go past 20mph.

On Saturday we had a look at it and couldn't even get it to start.

We disconnected the MAF, removed and cleaned the EGR and attempted to locate a DPF. I just assumed it had one but have since been informed that as his Grande has another box between the CAT and backbox that it doesn't have a DPF fitted.

As you have probably guessed none of the above worked.

Anyway my question is what should we try next?

I'm not a hugely technical person so forgive me if I say something silly. If it was a petrol car I would be working through the ignition system (coil pack, HT leads, plugs etc).

Does his being a diesel with glow plugs still make any of the above relevant?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

glowplugs arent like spark plugs, they are just there to preheat the diesel in the cylinder on a cold start. so would have nothing to do with poor running.

here is a list i would personally follow , as i have the same car:

check egr, remove and clean, and check operation of the solenoid inside, that it moves freely, and is not stuck partially or fully open.

check any lights on dash, use code reader if needed to pinpoint fault.

check all turbo/intercooler hoses for leaks/holes

go fill up with a quality fuel(vpower?) and add some millers sport plus diesel fuel cleaner.

check for any leaks of fuel or exhaust blow by gases around the fuel injectors.

check exhaust system, inc turbo for leaks, tightness of flanges etc

after all that, then not sure lol

could be sticking vains in the turbo

Last edited:
After your pm about the black smoke dude that doesn't sound too good.

Sounds like possibly turbo issue. Could be shattered blades, siezed, oil fault etc. I would remove the turbo but trying to get it to start anymore.

Thanks Matt and Ben for your replies.

Following further investigation it appears to be a faulty EGR valve.

A new one a has been ordered.

Back