Technical White smoke, sluggish accelaration Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90HP

Currently reading:
Technical White smoke, sluggish accelaration Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90HP

maxionline

Hello how are you?
I have a problem with my Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90hp that is driving me crazy, maybe it happened to someone and can help me.
Going on the road at a constant 110kph suddenly the engine loses power so i stop on one side, the engine autmatically turn off when i lift the gas pedal... I lift the hood and see that the engine is very hot and there are bubbles in the water tank. I had to go back with the crane.
I left the car at a mechanical shop thinking that the cover gasket had been blown, but the mechanic after checking it said no, no compression is happening to the water container and the oil is fine. He cleaned the EGR that was stuck, the intake that was dirty and had the injectors cleaned and recalibrated.
Now the car has no power, it emits a lot of white smoke, especially when starting, and it shakes. I will attach a video of the smoke when starting.
i made this video of a cold start:

Hello how are you?
I have a problem with my Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 90hp that is driving me crazy, maybe it happened to someone and can help me.
Going on the road at a constant 110kph suddenly the engine loses power so i stop on one side, the engine autmatically turn off when i lift the gas pedal... I lift the hood and see that the engine is very hot and there are bubbles in the water tank. I had to go back with the crane.
I left the car at a mechanical shop thinking that the cover gasket had been blown, but the mechanic after checking it said no, no compression is happening to the water container and the oil is fine. He cleaned the EGR that was stuck, the intake that was dirty and had the injectors cleaned and recalibrated.
Now the car has no power, it emits a lot of white smoke, especially when starting, and it shakes. I will attach a video of the smoke when starting.
i made this video of a cold start:

It looks like the engine is burning coolant, which is often a head gasket.

Doesn’t sound very healthy does it. Injector down maybe? Timing somehow jumped? Do you have an engine light on?

But shouldn't the liquid go down quickly with the amount of smoke it emits? I don't see it going down noticeably.
No, because steam has a fraction of the volume of liquid water. To test this you need to leave the engine running for longer and then see if the water level has gone down.

Doesn’t sound very healthy does it. Injector down maybe? Timing somehow jumped? Do you have an engine light on?
It definitely doesn't sound healthy. It feels like it shakes and misses, and has a rough idle. Can excess diesel due to an injector problem cause white smoke?
No engine light. The injectors were tested and recalibrated because they said they were malfunctioning, but the problem continues.

Does the smoke smell and almost sting your eyes?
Yes, it smells horrible, and it makes my eyes burn. I had the catalytic muffler (FAP) drained because they told me it was clogged and that was causing the problem, but it seems not.

From that angle sounds like an injector down to me. If you get a long screwdriver or similar and rest one end on top of each injector and other end to your ear do they all sound the same when it’s running? They should all click and all sound similar

From that angle sounds like an injector down to me. If you get a long screwdriver or similar and rest one end on top of each injector and other end to your ear do they all sound the same when it’s running? They should all click and all sound similar
good idea! I'm going to try that and see what I hear. thanks!

good idea! I'm going to try that and see what I hear. thanks!
well, tried that, but I couldn't hear the click in the injectors using a screwdriver, I tried resting it on various parts of the injectors, but the engine noise covers everything

You could try disconnecting the plug on each injector one at a time and starting it and see if one makes little or no difference. if so that injector isn’t doing a lot. Obviously that might give you an engine light that’ll need clearing. Without a code reader I can’t really suggest much else? See what other members suggest 🙂

When I say code reader I mean something that can show live data so you can see what everything is doing. Very surprised with how rough it’s running that it hasn’t put the engine light on

Back