General Grande Punto, Steering play/noise

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto, Steering play/noise

emmetfox

Hey,

Bought a Grande Punto (dob:30/03/06, 9000miles) a month ago, and ever since there has been this grinding noise coming from the steering wheel, from about staionary to 15 mph.

It's like a grinding vibration, quite unsettling, whats worse is the PLAY in the steering wheel.

Also if I let go of the steering wheel (while driving straight) it shunts itself to the left and I start veering to the left, not sharply though, about 1 metre in 10 would be my estimate, even still, What is going on?

Been going out of my mind trying to figure this one out! Any Ideas anyone??
Is it a KNOWN PROBLEM!!

Any replies would be much appreciated.. thanks guys

I'd suspect a steering rack or electric power assistance problem personally, both have been known about. Depends if the car has been heavily curbed in its previous life, have you taken the car in for tracking set up yet?

Hey,

thanks for the reply there.. havnt had a tracking set up yet.. what does it involve?

can you tell me more about the known issues with regards the steering rack, i'm taking it to my dealer soon under his 3 month warranty and just wann be in the know..

thanks

Hey,

thanks for the reply there.. havnt had a tracking set up yet.. what does it involve?

can you tell me more about the known issues with regards the steering rack, i'm taking it to my dealer soon under his 3 month warranty and just wann be in the know..

thanks

If you can afford it try getting all 4 wheels laser aligned, its about £30 I think... but it gets all 4 wheels running true provided no damage is evident, if there is damage this will give you something to go to your supplier with.

Some GP's have had tie rod / drop link problems and some have had a steering rack problem, both can feel and sound similar, except that with the steering rack fault you can feel a clonking through the steering wheel.

and with regards the grinding noise/vibration coming through on the steering, is there a fix for this or am I just gonna have to live with it!

Or is it a by product of the current problem?

Apoligies for my ignorance.

ta

and with regards the grinding noise/vibration coming through on the steering, is there a fix for this or am I just gonna have to live with it!

Or is it a by product of the current problem?

Apoligies for my ignorance.

ta

Shouldnt do it full stop, so No, you shouldnt have to live with it.

A Fiat Dealer DET would be able to readily identify the cause through knowledge, experience and service bulletins... was it from a Fiat dealer?

It was from a used car dealership in belfast NI!

glad to be gaining all this info, appreciate it..

Whats a DET?

ta.

Some GP's have had tie rod / drop link problems and some have had a steering rack problem, both can feel and sound similar, except that with the steering rack fault you can feel a clonking through the steering wheel.

I didn't feel clunking in my steering when the rack went - well, there was a knock when it took the strain from turning the wheels from one direction to the other (at the point between the two directions). One knock only that I could hear and not feel. But with that, it also had the track rod end replaced as it was clunking at low speed over rough surfaces (pretty much any road in the country!)

I think the previous owner was a kn0b in that he whacked it quite a lot - but this at the time was difficult to see as it had that issue with the lacquer peeling off of the wheels, so couldn't really judge the condition of the wheels.

Do the state of the OP's wheels indicate any previous disagreements with curbs? Sounds a lot like what I had and may need the whole lot replacing...

there is evedence that some curbing may have took place, just the typical scratches on the trims, ive got a feeling this may have knocked the wheel balance off, which would explain the veering to the left scenerio.

but would this then cause the creaking/vibration through the steering wheel?

my gut says it's part of the problem.

hearing talk of having to get the rack replaced isnt good though, just hope my dealer is willing to sort me out, it's still under his 3 monther!

there is evedence that some curbing may have took place, just the typical scratches on the trims, ive got a feeling this may have knocked the wheel balance off, which would explain the veering to the left scenerio.
but would this then cause the creaking/vibration through the steering wheel?

my gut says it's part of the problem.

hearing talk of having to get the rack replaced isnt good though, just hope my dealer is willing to sort me out, it's still under his 3 monther!

Wheel balance wont make it pull left or right, just wobble at +45MPH.

If its pulling it will be alignment for whatever reason, adjustment, damage, failing steering parts.... Your seller may find it difficult to cover but it should be done if it was like it when you bought it.

well it was certainly like that when i got it!!

thanks for the info foxy..

here's to us fox's.lol
icon10.gif

Resurrecting an old post here, but for a good reason I think.

A while back I had the issue with the steering, after a debacle i'd love to forget the problem was properly diagnosed by FIAT.

Turns out it was an issue relating to a CURRENT recall, the thing is my 30/03/06 Grande Punto 1.2 missed the build date by 3 monthes on the recall... SPLENDID, so FIAT customer services turn round and say 'yea.. umm it's a known problem', so I say 'so will you fix it for free considering it's a known problem, and there's a current recall for the EXACT issue'.. 'umm no.. the build date doesn't say your due a recall',... no leeway.

Cheers FIAT, I just think if your gonna RECALL an issue, why prevent the cars that are affected by it from being recalled?

anyway.. it's booked in for a new steering shaft at a cost of £880.00

Thanks again FIAT corporate, I think you should reconsider the manufacture dates on your recent RECALL.

I got burnt.

Turns out it was an issue relating to a CURRENT recall, the thing is my 30/03/06 Grande Punto 1.2 missed the build date by 3 monthes on the recall...

Man! That's gotta hurt! I bet the pencil pusher that came out with this technicality got promoted!

WOW!! I'm resurrecting an old post here so apoligies in advance, and yet, tis a good cause I can assure you.

OK.. So I got burnt on the recall, it stung, but the dealer did front most of the cash and FIAT themselves even gave 150 toward the 800 quid, probably out of sheer guilt.

Now, a mere 10 weeks after a new drive shaft and the best part of a £grand, i've noticed a metal knocking noise at low speed over uneven ground. It's a real sharp noise followed by a warble. The noise seems to resonate up through the steering wheel, it really makes you feel as if things are falling apart. It's coming from driver front side and i'm hoping against hope it's the drop links or anti roll bar or bushes.

This blooming car!

help..

It's not the car to be fair Emmet, its the way its been treated in it's former life before you got it & the type of support you're getting.

The current noise DOES sound like Drop-links... mine went on passenger side all fixed free under 3rd year warranty, passenger side though.

Foxxy, how's you?

The past life of this car must of been a getaway vehicle:p

It was in actual fact one lady owner, and I bought the Grande with only 9000 on clock(and i've only put 3000 on her).

I'm thinking build or inherent fault with part is to blame, of course I cant account for the previous 9000 miles and I aint really qualified to say either.

If it's drop links.. thats fair enough, it was a harsh winter. If it's a steering column replacement i'm heading to the auctions to get rid.

Cheer's though fox, I now have fingers crossed for drop links and feel equipped to ask a mechanic to eliminate or confirm my fears.

Ta as always

I know how you feel. I got shot of mine because I lost all faith in the thing. Mine too was a low mileage example and the thing kept going wrong. Let me down more times in the 15 months I had it, than all my cars from the last 6 years of driving combined.

Such a shame really, as they are good looking cars and fun to drive - when they work.

Am currently without a car and getting practically suicidal on the bus. But compared to the option of keeping my car any longer, it's far less painful.

OK..

Now i'm getting a clunk when turn steering wheel left and right, like I was checking for play. One clunk left, one clunk right and so on (i'm stationary with engine on). The prob is getting worse and the clunk is coming up and reverberating more into the steering wheel.

urrggh..

Back