Technical Grande Punto jack kit for Bravo 2

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto jack kit for Bravo 2

stolenbike

Can I use a Grande Punto jack kit on a Fiat Bravo?

362649897_3062487534047981_341712174770627897_n.jpg

What you show in the above pic. looks identical to what was supplied in my '08 Bravo 2, so I'd say yes, it can be used.

There would appear to be 2 items missing - a black plastic-handled screwdriver with reversible blade (No.2 pt Phillips and slot tips) which is fitted in the vacant space adjacent to the wheelbrace/spanner and a threaded bar approx. 75mm long, painted red, which is screwed into one of the wheel bolt holes in the hub to assist in refitting a roadwheel (helps locate the wheel on the hub while the other wheel bolts are being inserted), which is fitted in the vacant slot to the right of the jack handle.

In case you weren't aware of this, in the bottom of the tool tray there is a plastic tool that can be used to hold/fit/initially screw in the wheel bolts before using the wheelbrace (the bolts heads fit in recesses in the wheel so there's not much room to screw them in with your fingers).

Last edited:
a threaded bar approx. 75mm long, painted red, which is screwed into one of the wheel bolt holes in the hub to assist in refitting a roadwheel (helps locate the wheel on the hub while the other wheel bolts are being inserted), which is fitted in the vacant slot to the right of the jack handle.

Can you add a photo of this?

I have made my own.. but never seen a 'Factory' one

I suspect the jack kit would work well enough (having not used a supplied jack in 20+ years..)

------------------
a threaded bar approx. 75mm long, painted red, which is screwed into one of the wheel bolt holes in the hub to assist in refitting a roadwheel (helps locate the wheel on the hub while the other wheel bolts are being inserted), which is fitted in the vacant slot to the right of the jack handle.
----------------------

Can you add a photo of this?

I have made my own.. but never seen a 'Factory' one

I suspect the jack kit would work well enough (having not used a supplied jack in 20+ years..)
Certainly, here you go :-

IMG_20230724_005150 (2).jpg

And, just in case someone wants to try to duplicate an original one, the dimensions are :- Length= 90mm, Diameter= 10.94mm (11.04mm on painted section :geek: ), thread is 10mm x 1.25mm pitch, 10mm in length. There is a lightly straight-knurled section c. 20mm long near the chamfered end presumably to aid grip.

Of course, a suitable bolt with the head cut-off and a chamfer ground/filed on the plain end will work just fine.

I recently, had cause to remove the tool tray from the boot/trunk of my Bravo in order to inflate the space-saver tyre and took the opportunity to check/lube the supplied scissors jack. It is quite sturdily constructed (as far scissors jacks go), has a groove on the lifting platform to locate on the pinch weld under the car sill, has a double nut on the jacking screw bar, has a thrust bearing under the screw head (to reduce turning effort) and has interlocking teeth on the ends of the 8 links that form the parallelogram mechanism that does the lifting (presumably aids strength/stability?). I lubed all the pivot points and screw thread and checked it's operation, I also lubed the tool tray/spare wheel hold down screw clamp as this protudes through the boot floor and is therefore subject to road dirt/water splash and likely to rust/seize in place (just what you don't want to find out when you're stuck at the side of the road with a puncture :( ).

P.S. Safety Warning - NEVER get under a vehicle supported only by a jack of any type, always use proper axle stands or large blocks of timber - never bricks/concrete blocks which can split/crumble without warning. Esteemed member "varesecrazy" and most others on this forum no doubt already know this, so this message is directed towards those new to car maintenance to hopefully encourage them to work safely.

Last edited:
What you show in the above pic. looks identical to what was supplied in my '08 Bravo 2, so I'd say yes, it can be used.

There would appear to be 2 items missing - a black plastic-handled screwdriver with reversible blade (No.2 pt Phillips and slot tips) which is fitted in the vacant space adjacent to the wheelbrace/spanner and a threaded bar approx. 75mm long, painted red, which is screwed into one of the wheel bolt holes in the hub to assist in refitting a roadwheel (helps locate the wheel on the hub while the other wheel bolts are being inserted), which is fitted in the vacant slot to the right of the jack handle.

In case you weren't aware of this, in the bottom of the tool tray there is a plastic tool that can be used to hold/fit/initially screw in the wheel bolts before using the wheelbrace (the bolts heads fit in recesses in the wheel so there's not much room to screw them in with your fingers).
I've posted a pic of the red painted threaded bar in the above post. Here are pics of the screwdriver and plastic wheel bolt insertion tool, in case anyone is interested. The screwdriver blade is reversible and is No. 2 point Philips at one end and a slot at the other end. The plastic wheel bolt insertion tool is sized 17mm at one end (to fit the wheel bolts) and 10mm on the other end (not sure what this is intended to be used for, maybe air filter removal? idk, maybe someone here has figured it out?). There are numbers on the larger end, 3 with B340 underneath (maybe this type of tool comes in other sizes? idk).

IMG_20230724_005417.jpgIMG_20230724_005434.jpgIMG_20230724_005309.jpgIMG_20230724_005329.jpgIMG_20230724_005348.jpg

Last edited:
Can I use a Grande Punto jack kit on a Fiat Bravo?

View attachment 427106
A couple of further thoughts:-
It might be a good idea to actually check that the wheelbrace/spanner actually fits your Bravo wheel bolts, they're sized 17mm hex. Also check that the wheel bolts are not too tight, it might be worth loosening them at home using a proper wrench/socket + swivel bar and then retightening them to the correct torque figure, which is 110-132Nm / 81-97 lb.ft. The Fiat toolkit wheel wrench is make from swaged tubing, so might split/slip if used to try to loosen wheel bolts that have been overtightened.
Also, it would be worth lubricating the standard scissors jack, especially the operating screw, so that is will be operational if required.

Thanks for the pics.. (y)

The Black plastic 'nut spinner' I recall from older cars (188 punto?)

Ive NEVER seen that Red bar..very good !!
I will try and re.post pics of mine

10mm bar with the correct thread added to one end.

I had thought about buying
Bolts and taking the HexHead off..

But bolts of that pitch and length are quite expensive.. @£2.50 each :(

With steel wheels the job is ok..but these are invaluable with the Alloys :)

Back