General going to pick up a STILO ESTATE 1.9JTD DIESEL 03

Currently reading:
General going to pick up a STILO ESTATE 1.9JTD DIESEL 03

jimmyoldskool

was just wondering if there is any thing i should look out for guys and common problems with these from what i have researched they seem a decent motor.

thankyou

What you reckon guys?

MOT History Results

Here are the MOT results for this vehicle. Please note mileages are only available since 2011.
DateResultNotes 12/10/2015 Pass Mileage 263202 kilometres

Mileage Notes

• The mileage recorded at this MOT is above average for a vehicle of this age. (Average mileage of 138500)

Advisory Notices

• Nearside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Offside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Nearside front outer sill slightly corroded
  • Both rear tyres cracking along the treads

02/10/2015 Fail Mileage 263196 kilometres

Refusal Notices

• Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
  • Offside headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1.8.a.1b)
  • Nearside headlamp aim too high (1.8)
  • Nearside rear wheel bearing has excessive play (2.6.2)

Advisory Notices

• Nearside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Offside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Nearside front outer sill slightly corroded
  • Both rear tyres cracking along the treads

06/09/2014 Pass Mileage 242581 kilometres

Advisory Notices

• Front coil spring corroded (2.4.c.1b)
  • Front sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.g.1)
  • Front & rear brake discs corroding
  • Rear exhaust corroded
  • Oil leak

05/09/2014 Fail Mileage 242581 kilometres

Refusal Notices

• Offside front tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.d.1b)

Advisory Notices

• Front coil spring corroded (2.4.c.1b)
  • Front sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.g.1)
  • Parking brake: parking brake efficiency only just met. it would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.b.7)
  • Front & rear brake discs corroding
  • Rear exhaust corroded
  • N/s/r tyre worn outer edge
  • N/s/f tyre cracked on tread
  • Oil leak

05/11/2013 Pass Mileage 145099 miles

Advisory Notices

• Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
  • Oil leak

26/10/2012 Pass Mileage 136004 miles

26/10/2011 Pass Mileage 121272 miles

Advisory Notices

• Nearside front tie bar/rod has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.g.2)
  • Parking brake: parking brake efficiency only just met. it would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.b.7)

22/09/2010 Pass Mileage 105277 miles

22/10/2009 Pass Mileage 97095 miles

Advisory Notices

• Rear exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
  • Offside front seat belt damaged but not affecting the operation of the belt (5.2.2a)

22/10/2009 Fail Mileage 97095 miles

Refusal Notices

• Nearside headlamp aim too high (1.8)
  • Offside headlamp aim too high (1.8)

Advisory Notices

• Rear exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
  • Offside front seat belt damaged but not affecting the operation of the belt (5.2.2a)

02/10/2008 Pass Mileage 79518 miles

Advisory Notices

• Nearside brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
  • Offside brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

04/09/2007 Pass Mileage 63866 miles

01/09/2006 Pass Mileage 46557 miles

01/09/2006 Fail Mileage 46557 miles

Refusal Notices

• Nearside front tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.e.1)
  • Offside front tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.e.1)
  • Nearside front ball joint has excessive play (2.2.b.1f)

where are you buying it from?

Its very high mileage (I see it changes from miles to kilometres) and all I see scanning the MOT history is:

corrosion, cracking, too high and legal limit.

HOw much is it?

as an example, mine is on 115k miles, and doesn't have even a 1/4 of those failures or advisories. I get the distinct impression you are buying a work horse from a coastal area...?

was just wondering if there is any thing i should look out for guys and common problems with these from what i have researched they seem a decent motor.

thankyou

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

There's a buyer's guide for the Stilo here: https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/273562-buyers-guide-fiat-stilo.html

However, with so many refusals and advisories throughout the car's recent history, it suggests that the previous owner(s) have not looked after the car. Coupled with the high mileage (163546), I would avoid this one like the plague.

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

I am getting a long list in my head just looking at this!(n)(n)

From buying 3 of these i now know what to kind of look for:

Knocking noise from the rear (Rear axle bushes)=Money
Knocking noise from the front (wishbones/droplinks etc-normal wear/tear
headlights move up and down, (motors normally go)
Dash warnings-eg bulb failure/airbag failure-Normal but try to find without
clutch/flywheel history=Money

and if you can take it for a test drive without the seller, plug a code reader in-Gives you a heads up if something is wrong.

Paul(y)

thankyou everyone. i ended up buying the car it was a right mess around in the end and was just glad to get my old car scrapped and pick up something else.

feels nice and smooth everything seems to work BUT........ on the way home i did notice that when putting clutch down abit of a crunch???

there is also bulb failure and pre heat fault but looking into the guids i dont think this is much of a problem.

sorry if you feel i didnt take your advice but i dont have a massive choice atm and even with 160+ on the clock for a deisel its not to bad i suppose at 475????

also it just has donughts on would it be ok to put on a set of 15" renault alloys and what pressure should these be.

sorry for all the questions and thankyou for your help

I have a set of 15" Dynamic alloys for sale inc centre caps £50 ut you collect,

everything to go wrong with a Stilo is right here. have a good search around the Stilo section.

What spec is it, Active/Dynamic 80BHP,115BHP. any extras? leather/skyroof/split tail gate/cruise control?.

Paul(y)

thankyou everyone. i ended up buying the car it was a right mess around in the end and was just glad to get my old car scrapped and pick up something else.

feels nice and smooth everything seems to work BUT........ on the way home i did notice that when putting clutch down abit of a crunch???

there is also bulb failure and pre heat fault but looking into the guids i dont think this is much of a problem.

sorry if you feel i didnt take your advice but i dont have a massive choice atm and even with 160+ on the clock for a deisel its not to bad i suppose at 475????

also it just has donughts on would it be ok to put on a set of 15" renault alloys and what pressure should these be.

sorry for all the questions and thankyou for your help

Hi, and welcome to FF, :)
are they the same perished rears from years ago.., :(

the engines are sound, bodywork o.k., (y)
it's the electrics where the time will be spent, :eek:

personally I think that enough on a high miler,;)
but as you say - it's running and legal(y)

the FIAT wheels are 98PCD - there are LOADS of FIAT options out there,
the offer you've had of alloys is a good one;)

Charlie - Oxford

thankyou guys. i appriciate your feed back. its an active 115 option. no sky roof or split tail gate.

<snip>

<snip>
/QUOTE]

The PCD on the majority of Renault vehicles is 100 - the FIAT PCD is 98. So you really should be looking at FIAT, Alfa Romeo or Lancia wheels.

Mate - the only person stood in front of the car and can see it for what it is is you. Don't apologise for buying a car. Car buying is fun and exciting.

The diesel engines are strong enough work horses. The 1.9 JTD M-Jets are in all the doblo taxis etc and they go on just fine.

Good luck sorting out your little niggles and hope you have fun with her.

I agree with Artermis I paid cheap for my stilo and its had a uncared past but I was advised not to buy mine by others but 2 years later its still going strong and I sorted the main bulk of problems out and give it some care it needs. Its always gone where I needed it to and has been a pleasure to drive so hopefully you will give yours some care. Hope you have as much enjoyment driving your stilo as I am regards andy

Back