Going rate for an MOT

Currently reading:
Going rate for an MOT

Just curious as to what the going rate for an MOT is nowadays?

Place near me has just quoted £50.35 on a turn up anytime and they will do it asap basis but I got an MOT done on the pug 406 I was selling at a place a bit further affield for £35 around 2 months ago. However, I think this might have been on a reduced "mates rate" as where I was working was attatched to the garage and we knew them very well (y)

So what should I really be paying? I think the £50 is a little ott but then I dont really know what to pay. Out of all the cars owned, I have only put 1 of mine through an MOT in the last 4 years of driving, and that was around 3 years ago. No idea what I paid but it was also on "mates rates".

Last edited:
The cost of an MOT varies from garage to garage. I believe there is a cap on the price a garage can charge though.

i still pay £25, at the same garage it was only £10 in 2005.

i thought £50.00 was the max you can legally charge at present, i guess that has changed recently?

they told me that there will be a standard price for every tester when the 2 year regs come in.

Last edited:
I paid £35.00 in Sept - including a couple of new bulbs.

I asked for a discount. Always ask for a discount. That's my theory(y)

Generally averages £45 round here. A couple of garages advertise this price in the local papers & others tend to match it.
Mind you, it's a bit like the petrol, one ups their price & the rest follow within the day.
I thought the Government frowned on price fixing.
There's a lot of things we can buy slightly cheaper if we travel - but that defeats the object!

Back