Technical Gear knob removal?

Currently reading:
Technical Gear knob removal?

Hi,does anyone know how to remove the gear knob on a tipo 16v? I have tried twisting and pulling it but i don't want to go too mad on it incase i break it! :bang:

i dont have a 16v but i managed to pull mine off accidentally once when it wouldnt go into reverse so i pulled it really violently and it came off in my hand

it should come off if you pull straight up. i hear my idea of twisting it off using an oil filter removal tool might be detrimental to the gearbox's general wellbeing. i think the haynes manual says to make up a special tool for the job. sounds a bit too much like work for me

I removed mine on my 1.6 but I presume they are all the same.

underneath the rubber head there is a plastic thing which grips the stick from 4 sides.

You could unclip it if you have enough patients but I ended up cutting the whole thing off with a stanly knife. if you intend to replace the knob and teh gaiter then why not eh?

cheers everyone,i managed to get it off today,i ended up using everyones advice,i pulled it,twisted it,stanley knifed it and hacksaw'd it!!! leather gear knob was a bit worn so i got a punto hgt one on it now,tidied it up nicely. (y)

Hi, found this old post , I'm thinking of swapping my knob on my 2017 Tipo. The fake leather is getting ugly looking now and worn in places.

How does the reverse lift ring work ? Is that nothing to do with the actual knob ?

There's mention in this post of a tool to pull the knob off, does anyone know what that is ?

Hi, found this old post , I'm thinking of swapping my knob on my 2017 Tipo. The fake leather is getting ugly looking now and worn in places.

How does the reverse lift ring work ? Is that nothing to do with the actual knob ?

There's mention in this post of a tool to pull the knob off, does anyone know what that is ?

This thread is about the 1990 tipo 😉

I changed my 1990... the gaiter and knob were all in one, and a PULL got it off

You want to ask in the modern tipo section 👍

Back