Technical Tipo problem with gears

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo problem with gears

2shae

Hi..i have problem with my gear changing in tipo 1.4ie. Well..my gears are sticking..i can't even find neutral. Problem is that only 1 3 5 gears are sticking. 2 4 and reverse are doing well. Like something is pressing hard on the gearbox levers. I tought that gearbox mount is sagged but i check all of them today and they look fine, rubber is not cracked and so on. Levers looks ok and they move normally. When i brake hard my car throws out of gear. I don't understand anymore. Like engine mounts are bad. But they look ok. I even support them with lift to see if it is better. But no effect. Maybe a little. Any idea fellas???

Gears 1, 3 and 5 are at the top of the gearlever gate, 2, 4 and R are at the bottom. It seems like probably something with the selector linkage to me - just a guess. Maybe adjustment or worn bushes?

If you fix this then it can also be useful to change the gearbox oil on an older car...

If the rods and mounts appear ok and the selector mechanism is all working ok when the car is stopped then it sounds like an internal problem in the gearbox, worn synchro hubs or worn gears perhaps. If you can get your hands on another gearbox I would just cut your losses and change it, it's an easy enough job with the right tools. Good luck!

Back