Cinquecento Gear change problem after car warms up

Currently reading:
Cinquecento Gear change problem after car warms up

jaco1222

Hi Guys,

My gear change is perfect when i use my car in the morning and goes into first, second and reverse no problem. After being in traffic for 20mins or so, it struggles to get into first and reverse. I have to move off in second and then i can get back down to first. When going into reverse, sometimes it crunches and sounds like your touching a bar onto a moving belt... but has never crunched going into 1st,2nd,3rd etc. Like a Said though once its cooled down it runs perfect.

Any ideas please?

When I got the car about 2 months ago the oil was a bit below min but i drove it for a few days before filling it up again. Could it be possible that there is air in the system?

In the situations where it won't go in, pumping the clutch or brakes don't sort the problem. usually it is wiggle the stick about a bit and keep trying to put it in.

If its crunching when you are trying to select reverse then something is still spinning around in the gearbox whilst you are trying to select the gear i.e. the clutch isnt clearing properly
has the pedal gone heavy, a sure sign of a tired clutch?

i would say that the clutch is a little heavy. I spoke to a mechanic and he said that it was a feature that occured with seicentos and fiestas. But maybe a new clutch is whats needed.

I killed mine by not putting oil in and needed a new gearbox which cost a few quid so Id go with clutch and new oil if your going to keep it cause its only a matter of time before it will need doing anyway. I do so miss the little Seicento

If i want to change the clutch in my car myself, would i be serierly advided not too?

I have been a compitent mechanical technician for 3 years at a university. I have a haynes manual and have watched youtube videos. I just lack experience :/

Simple things first;
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable?
Clutch might not be fully disengaging. Especially with expanding slightly when warm and lower ratios and synchros cause it to crunch.

No point spending money when you might not need to. However a gearbox oil change is a cheap investment.

Changing the clutch yourself, depends on your experience level wielding spanners. Easy enough if you know how.
Where abouts in the UK are you? Someone might be able to come and help you

EDIT - sorry didnt read the bit where you said youve done some at uni. youve got a haynes, youve watched videos. Dive in :) Best way to gain experience

Last edited:
Hey guys I want to ask you. I have similar problem with gear change, just i do not have reverse crunching, instead the gear knob doesn't go to neutral position (middle) from 2nd or 5th gears it just stays little bit on the side. what coild be the problem ? cables need some oil or what? I have Grande Punto 2007 1.3jtd

Hey guys I want to ask you. I have similar problem with gear change, just i do not have reverse crunching, instead the gear knob doesn't go to neutral position (middle) from 2nd or 5th gears it just stays little bit on the side. what coild be the problem ? cables need some oil or what? I have Grande Punto 2007 1.3jtd

Hi, :)

lubricate the cables..then use for a few days;)

you may have to remove some of the lower dash for access,
here is a Panda how-to = https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-guides/340216-lower-dash-removal-info-gear-change-too-gars2.html - use arrows to see page#2;)

Charlie

Hi Guys,

My gear change is perfect when i use my car in the morning and goes into first, second and reverse no problem. After being in traffic for 20mins or so, it struggles to get into first and reverse. I have to move off in second and then i can get back down to first. When going into reverse, sometimes it crunches and sounds like your touching a bar onto a moving belt... but has never crunched going into 1st,2nd,3rd etc. Like a Said though once its cooled down it runs perfect.

Any ideas please?

Back again..,
as others have said a dragging clutch can have this effect,:eek:

however so can restricted movement in the selector assembly, :rolleyes:

our old classic panda wouldn't go into reverse once warm , I looked under the bonnet and "thankfully" it was on RODS - not cables..so I adjusted the rod a little to centralise the play ( from wear + tear) and it worked perfectly..
my Mrs was both pleased + annoyed..as here previous one had the same issue and she was forced to PUSH the car backwards out of car parks:D

as I said before.. check the linkages for obvious wear before worrying about a gearbox out job,

Charlie - Oxford

hey guys. I checked my fiats cables they are fine but the problem is kinda strange, because the gear shifter starts to stuck when the car is fully warmed up. I attached a link to a video. What could be more?

[ame]https://youtu.be/jqjh_SH98Jk[/ame]

Okey, nobody said anything so I found the problem my self :D
gear shifter wasn't working properly when hot, because a lever that moves gearbox from side to side was rusted ( ill add pictures) so I took out whole bracket and cleaned the inside and add grease. WUALA!!! like new ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0654.JPG
    DSC_0654.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0655.JPG
    DSC_0655.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
Back