Ford Focus 1.8L '04 (Cat D)

Currently reading:
Ford Focus 1.8L '04 (Cat D)

Looking for something a bit more beefy, as my 1.2L 8V Punto isn't quite enough for me anymore. It's a fantastic car, but I just want something a with more oompf :p

Went and had a look at a few cars briefly yesterday, and the one which stuck out for me was a 2004 Focus 1.8. Lovely car. Bodywork was near enough perfect. Turned over straight away. Just purred.

This is the advert for it btw: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201152438753402

Took it out for a test-drive and (probably because I was coming from a 1.2) it felt more alive. Steering was perfect. Light and responsive.

Slightly fallen for the car. It is a Cat D. He showed me pictures of what it was. Apparently some damage to the wishbone and the wheel. No body damage.

How much of a pain is the "Cat D" association going to be when it comes to re-sell ? Possibly be reselling within 6 months, but more likely a year. Don't want to buy something that will sting me when it comes to selling it on.

Car was last serviced 6K ago, and will be serviced upon purchase. 6 months mot & TAX.

Thoughts @ £2,395 ?

If you keep all the evidence like you have been shown, damage to paint, wishbone etc then its not too bad

Cat D isnt too bad, cat C is the major one i wouldnt worry but id definately be checking the suspect areas properly for shoddy work etc

Re-sale, well it will put a lot of people off especially those who arent familiar with the difference between cat D and C i would mention the areas effected come re-sale but cant really see it, personally i would p/x it at resale

If you sold it private I cant see you getting your money back either especially wanting to sell after 6 months, you might as well buy something for £500 with a 1.8 and run that for 6 months, however i dont think you would get 'stung' either you might loose a few hundred pounds but theres plenty of these about, so expect offers

But 2395 with a service 6 months tax and MOT is a good price especially if you arent p/x your car against it its also a 3 door which is the more desirable model and a good colour for spare parts

I had a 1.8 zetec mondeo and it was juicy, you'll be lucky to get 300 miles out of a full tank one of reasons i got rid of it, but it was good fun though

And trust me these cars are good as well, thoroughly recommended - check out my accident thread in my sig below, before that happened not one problem in 3 years

Last edited:
overpriced for a thirsty 1.8 with cat d, from what I've seen while looking for another car, look around.. it's a buyers market specially if your after a common car with a Bigger petrol engine when most are after the tdci.

Last edited:
you thought about a Vauxhall Astra 1.8? the later 1.8's in the Astra G (Mk4) 02-05 are very strong and good engines, have around 130bhp and will do about 38mpg. ive got 370miles out of a tank on my Astra and thats having a bit of fun now and then.

you can pick up a decent Mk4 in either a 3dr hatchback or as 2dr Coupe for around £2,000.. or you can get one with the toys for £2,200. and thats for a 04plate with around 60,000.

Ive seen a 2003 3dr SRi for £1995 with Full MOT, Service History and 8months T&T with around 76,000..

Back