Technical flippin alternator

Currently reading:
Technical flippin alternator

Is it that it will not fit past the driveshaft, or that it will not fit in its mounting position?

eLearn suggests it comes out from above, once the air filter and oil vapour separator are removed. Have you tried up instead of down?

Is it that it will not fit past the driveshaft, or that it will not fit in its mounting position?

eLearn suggests it comes out from above, once the air filter and oil vapour separator are removed. Have you tried up instead of down?

It won't fit past driveshaft, it's got same almost dimensions so should (fingers crossed) fit in position.

Air filter and oil vapour separator out
mothering-notes2.gif

(y)

Total nightmare trying the other way.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting another alternator same as the old one, coz now that I know where exactly it goes it fits back in easily enough (past the driveshaft I mean, not the whole way back up I'm not insane and refitting it, lol) there are just too many obstructions from the battery side.

So I need to get it to the MOT testing station by weds.

If I get the battery charged up I should be ok?

When the belt snapped my battery had power for days after, would it make it you think?

Hi

I've been where you are now, but with -10 degrees weather too (although not far off now).

My new alternator was, like yours, slightly larger than the original one, so know where you're coming from. The way that I did it was to jack the engine up via the rear of the sump, which allows it the engine to move forwards enough just to allow the alternator to be wiggled into place for you.

I was expecting to take the drive shaft off, but never needed to. If you do this and still need a little bit of extra room, you could undo the top engine stabilizer mount, which is located on the top left of the engine when looking from the front. It is sat below the diesel filter on my car, on the inside of the wing. This is easy enough to undo and swing out of the way to give you the extra couple of mm of room.

Best of luck, now go and do it and come in feeling happy!!

Sorry, I forgot to add that I doubt that it would pass the MOT due to the lack of power steering etc due to the lack of the auxiliary belt, and the warnings that flash up on the dashboard, e.g. alternator fault, contact garage, and after not very long at all due to the lack of charge, abs (anti lock brakes) and ebd (electronic brake distribution) fault. My fully charged, 3 month old battery didn't go for long without an alternator, before giving these 2 warnings. I think these trigger as soon as the charge falls below 13.5V, as the alternator should be kicking out 14V +.

Cheers

James

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to add that I doubt that it would pass the MOT due to the lack of power steering etc due to the lack of the auxiliary belt, and the warnings that flash up on the dashboard, e.g. alternator fault, contact garage, and after not very long at all due to the lack of charge, abs (anti lock brakes) and ebd (electronic brake distribution) fault. My fully charged, 3 month old battery didn't go for long without an alternator, before giving these 2 warnings. I think these trigger as soon as the charge falls below 13.5V, as the alternator should be kicking out 14V +.

Cheers

James

Just a retest within 10 days so only checking the things it failed on???

Hi

I've been where you are now, but with -10 degrees weather too (although not far off now).

My new alternator was, like yours, slightly larger than the original one, so know where you're coming from. The way that I did it was to jack the engine up via the rear of the sump, which allows it the engine to move forwards enough just to allow the alternator to be wiggled into place for you.

I was expecting to take the drive shaft off, but never needed to. If you do this and still need a little bit of extra room, you could undo the top engine stabilizer mount, which is located on the top left of the engine when looking from the front. It is sat below the diesel filter on my car, on the inside of the wing. This is easy enough to undo and swing out of the way to give you the extra couple of mm of room.

Thanks! Will have a look (y)

its this gap i can't get it past

1974220_10204791010239972_4815691981319935007_o.jpg

Hi that looks familiar! Have you tried to move the engine, as when it moves forwards the driveshaft moves with it opening the gap up. From my experience with retests, and I've had probably 10 retests out of 25 tests, they have a cursory glance at other things, as it is based on the car at the time. Some testers are also more particular than others.

I hope that this helps.

Hi that looks familiar! Have you tried to move the engine, as when it moves forwards the driveshaft moves with it opening the gap up. From my experience with retests, and I've had probably 10 retests out of 25 tests, they have a cursory glance at other things, as it is based on the car at the time. Some testers are also more particular than others.

I hope that this helps.

(y) will try and update tomorrow. MOT is with JustMots fairly easygoing but you never know. It's not like they can miss the light on

How much larger was your new one, just marginally? or visibly?

I'm starting to panic a bit about this whole thing now...

Bugger. You've already answered my question. I know some of the cheapo Chinese ones have bulkier casings that cause problems. I know it won't help you right now, but posting the two Denso part numbers may help someone else avoid the same pain in future.

Just for the record, I thought it was the Bosch ones that were supposed to have the problems with cracked casings, not the Denso. Has yours cracked?

Back