Technical Which alternator?

Currently reading:
Technical Which alternator?

Hi,

Suspected alternator failure. 2005 1.9 JTD 105 climate control. Any ideas which alternator I need, 105 or 85 amps?

I'm at work and the car is at home. I want to pick the replacement up on my way home in a couple of hours.

Diagnosis is based on squeak at low revs (particularly during cranking), poor cranking last night, electrical/burning smell, slow electric windows and battery light on.

Thanks

Hi there, you might want to check on the condition of your auxiliary belt...this might have failed (snapped), hence the burning smell and charge warning light on (as the alternator is no longer being driven). Car will continue to run as long as there is power left in the battery.....just a thought, but your alternator could in fact be fine......

Hi,

Suspected alternator failure. 2005 1.9 JTD 105 climate control. Any ideas which alternator I need, 105 or 85 amps?

I'm at work and the car is at home. I want to pick the replacement up on my way home in a couple of hours.

Diagnosis is based on squeak at low revs (particularly during cranking), poor cranking last night, electrical/burning smell, slow electric windows and battery light on.

Thanks
Most cars with climate control will have the larger alternator so go for 105A. ePer (link in blue bar near top of forum page should tell you for sure if you put your VIN into it.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks, I went for the 105. It was raining so I got the garage to fit it. They said it was a pig and they had to grind away part of a bracket plus drop the exhaust. It was because it was bigger than the one they took off. They charged me £100 to fit it.

It failed the MOT (reason it was originally booked in) on a number plate light and a fuel leak from a pipe on the bulkhead. Nothing major though.

Back