General fixing the timing on Fiat stilo 1.8 16v

Currently reading:
General fixing the timing on Fiat stilo 1.8 16v

kokkolin

could anyone please help me out on how to properly time a 1.8 16v stilo engine after repairing a camshaft?

You'll need a TDC gauge and some cam locks. With no.1 cylinder at TDC, fit the cams using the cam-locks and Robert is your mother's brother.

The flywheel mark can get you pretty close to TDC, if you want to do without the gauge. The "screwdriver in the plug hole" method can work but be prepared to have to tweak it after you've assembled it (i.e. remove the belt and try again).

I have no idea how you would time the camshafts without tools. You'll need cam-locks, something like these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Pun...975602&hash=item3ad38b89a4:g:Id8AAOxygo9Q8I9Z

>> although these look plastic. You want metal ones ideally.

You just have to drop the cams into position so that the locks fit over the lobes. From memory the inlet fits onto no. 2 cylinder and the exhaust onto no. 3 cylinder but the locks should state where they go (and will be marked "I" and "E").

Ralf S.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
thank you so much, I have the locks, all I needed was some instructions,

I also have to change the inlet camshaft cause I've noticed that it has some wear on it. so I'll be doing that also

got these, hope they'll do the job IMG_20180702_093750.jpeg

Exactly as sixpotman said. Take care with the exhaust cam pulley because the camshaft sensor is underneath it and if the thin metal inside of the pulley bents you will have to straighten it.

Just be careful you don't bend the metal timing ring
inside the alloy cam wheel, if you have to remove
the exhaust cam wheel. It will chew the timing sensor
and engine won't run.
could you tell me how it looks like?

It looks so easy with the engine on a stand.. :D

It reminds me... get the longest 15mm spanner you can.. the aux-belt tensioner needs a lot of leverage.

Ralf S.
could you tell me where can I find the torque values for all the nuts and bolts :))

could you tell me where can I find the torque values for all the nuts and bolts :))

Crankshaft pulley bolts
21-26 Nm 15-19 lb.ft

Timing belt tensioner nut
24-29 Nm 18-21 lb.ft

Balance belt nut
12 Nm 9 lb.ft

Inlet camshaft pulley bolts
12 Nm 9 lb.ft

Exhaust camshaft pulley bolt
100-124 Nm 74-91 lb.ft

Camshaft bearing cap bolts
13-16 Nm 10-12 lb.ft

Valve cover and timing belt cover bolts
9 Nm 7 lb.ft

Water pump bolts
17-21 Nm 13-15 lb.ft

Variator solenoid bolts
14-20 Nm 10-15 lb.ft

Last edited:
Crankshaft pulley bolts
21-26 Nm 15-19 lb.ft

Timing belt tensioner nut
24-29 Nm 18-21 lb.ft

Balance belt nut
12 Nm 9 lb.ft

Inlet camshaft pulley bolts
12 Nm 9 lb.ft

Exhaust camshaft pulley bolt
100-124 Nm 74-91 lb.ft

Camshaft bearing cap bolts
13-16 Nm 10-12 lb.ft

Valve cover and timing belt cover bolts
9 Nm 7 lb.ft

Water pump bolts
17-21 Nm 13-15 lb.ft

Variator solenoid bolts
14-20 Nm 10-15 lb.ft
thank you!

It a thin metal ring with a reference piece missing,it won't come off, it's part of the pulley.it tells the sensor what position the cam shaft is.

Exactly. Don't bend it. I accidentally bent mine and didn't notice. Broke my camshaft sensor within days and the car won't start, lucky was home when it happened. Around 70 for a new sensor. So pay close attention to it when unbolting the exhaust sprocket.

I created a tool with an old belt and a wood stick to do so.

It a thin metal ring with a reference piece missing,it won't come off, it's part of the pulley.it tells the sensor what position the cam shaft is.
this is the ring I should be taking care of? IMG_20180705_222957.jpeg

Back