General Fiat Ulysse ECU help - Please.

Currently reading:
General Fiat Ulysse ECU help - Please.

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I was on here last. :(

I have a chance of buying a Ulysse on a 'V' plate, which is generally (Body wise) in better nick than mine.

The problem with the 'V' Plate Ulysse is that the ECU has gone. Am I able to use the ECU off of my 'P' Plate and fit it straight into and connect up and drive away the 'V' Plate?

Or is it a case of it won't work (Different years) or a case of it has to be fitted BUT Programmed in?

As always - your help is appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I have just been informed that there is a built manufacturer emobiliser built into the key fob and central locking. The key fob has a missing button but it still works.

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Welshy.

Apparently so. The following is quoted from an email from the seller....

Seller said:
The car was diagnosed by Auto Electrical in *********. I still have their report stating the problem with the car is the ECU. The car just wouldn't start one day, it was working fine the previous day and the next morning the wife went out to start the car and it would turn over but not start. the orange management light was flashing on the dash board several times, and when i refered to the manual it stated an ECU fault. This is when I phoned the breakdown recovery and they took the car to Auto Electrical who confirmed the fault as the ECU. From there i towed the car to my place of work

The Ulysse is now in my posession. Battery is on charge.

Where is the ECU actually located Please?

Is it the small silver quare box (approx' 6-8 inches suqare), that is screwed to the left hand side of the engine bay? as you look at the car from the front?

The Ulysse is now in my posession. Battery is on charge.

Where is the ECU actually located Please?

Is it the small silver quare box (approx' 6-8 inches suqare), that is screwed to the left hand side of the engine bay? as you look at the car from the front?

Another thing is when I put the ignition on, there was nothing there, not even ignition lights.

So I took the battery off to charge, but it wasn't flat?:|

what can it be please guys? Main fuse? Where is the main fuse located please?

Your help is appreciated.

I have put the battery back on and the following is what is happening.... Your help would be appreciated....

.... With ignition on I am getting a Black Symbol with a White "K" inside it, flashing fast so too is the STOP light. And there is also a fast clicking noise noise coming from the front left side of the engine (as you stand in the front of the car looking into the engine). ((near the ecu?))

The Ulysse owner handbook states that the "K" symbol warning light is a "Self Diagnosis" (Amber). Comes on when there is a fault in the fuel feed/ignition system.

Sorry - The central Locking is working.

The clicking appears to be coming from three places...

1. The unit at the side of the ECU.
2. No 7 Relay in the fusebox. (a circular smbol on the FB diagram).

(both items stopped clicking when they were removed).

3. Somewhere towards the rear of the car.

I believe the fuel works as I could smell petrol.

I will take some pics of the first two items. If anyone wants me to?

Last edited:
Hi Guys...

...UPDATE:

I have just had an Auto Elctrician out (On his way home)...

He plugged three (3) different machines in and NOT one could comunicate with the ECU.

The clicking in the 3 places (Relay next to the ECU, the R7 relay in the FuseBox and the Petrol pump) were still clicking all the time (a few clicks wer still active with the ignition off and keys removed).

Even though I charged the battery, it was flat -- and hearing the clicking intermittently after it was switched off with keys removed, I assume that this is what is draining the battery?

We have ruled out the Relay (next to the ECU) because I swapped it over for him - using the one from my Ulysse that we are currently using.

There is petrol getting pumped through as I can see it coming out of the top of the rubber pipe where it enters the copper? tubing to the engine.

Any ideas as to what this may be please?

He is talking about (If I want him to), coming out and spending the day on it, to "Pin" the ECU etc because he needs a good look at it manually as the ECU is not letting himput a machine on it. :_|

Your help is appreciated.

We have ruled out the Relay (next to the ECU) because I swapped it over for him - using the one from my Ulysse that we are currently using.

Its this relay that powers up the ecu, if its repeatedly clicking then there probabl yis a fault in the wiring. Just dont want to see you buy a ecu & it still dont start...having the luxury of another car means you can spend more time & be 100% sure before spending £3-400 quid?

I have a pinout of this double relay somewhere...cant remember where though:confused:

Hi T14086,

Do you still think it is the relay? Or have I misread your post?

The Auto Electrician (AE) was talking about "Pinning" around to manually try to find the problem.

Aww Gawd.. :(

Back