General Fiat Ulysse 2003 2.0 JTD/HDI cold start only with spray!

Currently reading:
General Fiat Ulysse 2003 2.0 JTD/HDI cold start only with spray!

Sarajevo

Hello guys, I bought this car few months ago with 215000km on it. There are no signs of oil or fuel leaking, no extra smoke while driving normally even up the hills, rpm and pick are fine. I replaced timing belt, water pump and all the bearings and tensioners coming with it including the V belt etc. Changed engine oil and all the filters including the fuel filter. Battery is almost new 75ah. I ran it around 6000.km but now facing a cold start problem. It runs fine and starts fine but when I leave it overnight it wouldn't start next day. Cranks normally but no life or starting signs until the use of spray, after that it starts and runs fine all the day. If someone had the same problem or can guess it, it will help me to look in the right direction to solve it. Thanks!

Hello guys, I bought this car few months ago with 215000km on it. There are no signs of oil or fuel leaking, no extra smoke while driving normally even up the hills, rpm and pick are fine. I replaced timing belt, water pump and all the bearings and tensioners coming with it including the V belt etc. Changed engine oil and all the filters including the fuel filter. Battery is almost new 75ah. I ran it around 6000.km but now facing a cold start problem. It runs fine and starts fine but when I leave it overnight it wouldn't start next day. Cranks normally but no life or starting signs until the use of spray, after that it starts and runs fine all the day. If someone had the same problem or can guess it, it will help me to look in the right direction to solve it. Thanks!
If worse with the colder weather and comes with white smoke from exhaust that smells like diesel, then first I would check that the heater plugs are all working as they should. Then worst case scenario, I would have the compressions tested as if too low it makes diesels hard to start as cannot build enough compression to generate heat to ignite the diesel.
The other name for a diesel engine is CI (Compression Ignition Engines) as in no or low compression, no ignition:(.
Same principle when as a child you may have held your hand over a bicycle pump outlet and found it gets warm when pumped.

If worse with the colder weather and comes with white smoke from exhaust that smells like diesel, then first I would check that the heater plugs are all working as they should. Then worst case scenario, I would have the compressions tested as if too low it makes diesels hard to start as cannot build enough compression to generate heat to ignite the diesel.
The other name for a diesel engine is CI (Compression Ignition Engines) as in no or low compression, no ignition:(.
Same principle when as a child you may have held your hand over a bicycle pump outlet and found

Same principle when as a child you may have held your hand over a bicycle pump outlet and found it gets warm when pumped.
Thank you for sharing your suggestions. I will check in to it. Problem started in summer/autumn (+1 to +5°C) when it was not much cold like now in winter with -5°C, I didn't notice white smoke or fuel smell at all. Usually it always started with a very normal black smoke. Now on cranking there is no smoke or smell at all, but with spraying it ignites fast with usual smoke.

Do you have any figures for the fuel rail pressures..?

If the pressures are LOW when it's COLD the ECU cannot permit injection

Revs build pressure..
Once it is spinning with spray.. The ECU will accept the higher pressure and allow injection.
Thank you for your suggestions. I don't have figures for pressure readings yet but I will check with some mechanic to run a test.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions. I will check in to it. Problem started in summer/autumn (+1 to +5°C) when it was not much cold like now in winter with -5°C, I didn't notice white smoke or fuel smell at all. Usually it always started with a very normal black smoke. Now on cranking there is no smoke or smell at all, but with spraying it ignites fast with usual smoke.
That points to NO FUEL INJECTED.. 🤔

You get rail pressure readings via the OBD port.. 😉

Warm and dry job.. Takes less that 15 minutes 🙂

Back