Technical Fiat Stilo Alarm fault finding.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo Alarm fault finding.

Hi All,

My stilo gets an "alarm fault" on the dash almost every time I start it.
Also when locking the car from the key fob, I get the flashes when locking it , then after a few seconds it flashes again.

Also, shouldnt it make a bleep , bleep noise on setting?

I've sat in the car after setting the alarm and when it finally starts flashing the hazards there is no alarm sound.

Any ideas on where to start looking to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Mark

had similar issue with mine, started with siren going off for no reason then no siren and alarm fault , siren is under wiper scuttle plate is battery back up type so could be fail of battery in siren,,I did find second hand siren and these did not solve my problem..so in the end to put stop to fault message on every start up I used Multiscan software to disable alarm, still have flashing indicators when unlock and lock car but with good immobiliser and flashing led on door card still I do not worry with having alarm disabled just glad not to have that fault message on each start up...siren be place to start and multiscan does list alarm faults for siren if you have the software.

Hi All,

My stilo gets an "alarm fault" on the dash almost every time I start it.
Also when locking the car from the key fob, I get the flashes when locking it , then after a few seconds it flashes again.

Also, shouldnt it make a bleep , bleep noise on setting?

I've sat in the car after setting the alarm and when it finally starts flashing the hazards there is no alarm sound.

Any ideas on where to start looking to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Mark

You'll need to link it up to diagnostics to find out what the 'alarm fault' is. Sounds like a faults siren unit.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.
Yes, I now remember it initially having the siren go off randomly then packing up altogether.

I have a VAG and ELM diag box, I'll have to hook it up again and have another search for the alarm settings.
Couldnt find them last time.
I was using a demo of the fiatecuscan software. Not heard of "multiscan" though.
I'll also have a look under the scuttle plate for the siren and have a butchers.
I'm off work all week so have the time.

Mark

multiscan is just newer version of the fiatecuscan..and the registerd version does allow fault codes and information for alarm issues..more than likely siren fault..need to remove wipers and plastic scuttle panel held with 3 plastic plug clips which can break when remove so worth getting few spares only one broke when took mine off but got few on ebay.

Hi Guys,

I've diagnosed the problem!

I removed the scuttle plate, wiper arms and motor unit .
This allowed me to remove the siren unit.

I then took it apart....

Inside is a nimh battery which has leaked and corroded the control pcb on both sides. A quick clean up and I've decided its pretty well irreparable unless I have a schematic, even then it would be a lot of work and the battery would need replacing.

DSCF1718.jpg

Yes looks like the culprit..be roughly £80 for new siren cheaper for 2nd hand unit ..has to be correct siren for car as cimmunicates with alarm system it will be a Meta type siren..other option is to disable alarm on car dusing software above

Inside is a nimh battery which has leaked and corroded the control pcb on both sides. A quick clean up and I've decided its pretty well irreparable unless I have a schematic, even then it would be a lot of work and the battery would need replacing.

Thanks for this information. Is the battery visible in the photo? I think I can only see electrolytic capacitors.

So, this siren is part of the original fit alarm, I assume, and therefore, would it be a good idea for all owners of Stilos fitted with an original alarm to check and replace the backup battery before damage occurs?

Sorry I know this is no help for you, but your research is appreciated as it might save further alarms from damage, and if we don't, then there won't be any left second-hand soon. I'll look for mine while I'm in there working on the wiper linkage.

-Alex

Last edited:
Well, this is the battery:-

DSCF1721.jpg

If you follow this link:- Bigfathairybikers Alarm Pictures

You should beable to see all the pictures I took.

Steps I took:-

1. Remove Wipers and Scuttle plate.
2. Remove Wiper motor assembly ( Three bolts )
3. Loosen ( not remove ) the side nuts on the siren. Then slide it out.
4. Disconnect plug, bit of a fiddley catch on it.
5. Remove two sliding bolts before you lose them!
6. Carefully prise the side clips on the siren and it should pull apart.
7. Separate the siren from the battery/pcb by pulling off the two connectors.
8. Remove the rubber battery housing by pulling it. Note the rubber sealing ring.
9. Remove two self tapper screws from board, remove board and unplug battery.

I've put the car back together leaving out the siren unit until I either replace it or fit another alarm.

Mark

So, this siren is part of the original fit alarm, I assume, and therefore, would it be a good idea for all owners of Stilos fitted with an original alarm to check and replace the backup battery before damage occurs?

Opps.. missed that question! :)

Anyway, yes it is the original fit alarm.
Wether its a good idea for all owners of Stilos to check the battery is a maybe.

If you open yours up and see nothing wrong that would only indicate that at that point in time the battery is ok.

If the alarm still works and the battery has leaked but not damaged the circuit yet, then yes, as it would mean you could replace the battery asap. Not something that a local car garage would do though.
You would have to source the battery pack and solder the wires if it didn't come with a suitable connector.
It would also be a good idea to rinse the circuit board in soapy water then dry thoroughly with a hair dryer.

If the battery hasn't leaked, you could check it is charging to the full voltage.
Or just replace it anyway.

btw: I've not bothered getting a new siren as the central locking and immobiliser still appears to be working. Nobody takes notice of car alarms anyway...

oh... there is one on the bay at the moment for 35 quid..

Mark

Back