Technical Fiat Panda 2014 1.2 Lounge Front Break Pad Guide Pins spinning

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda 2014 1.2 Lounge Front Break Pad Guide Pins spinning

Talking about B&S engines, I'm off to mow my lawn now - although actually my very old lawnmower has a cast iron bore Tecumseh side valve engine!
Ha, Ha Jock! I beat you by three days, but I had to strim it first as it was so long and to get around the grand childrens swing, then I scarified it to get rid of some of the weeds and moss, before finally firing up the old mower.
Recoil was the name of inserts, Australian I think.

Victory ...

Attachments

• 20240324_145112.jpg
    20240324_145112.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 17
Remove the caliper from the caliper carrier/frame(Bit the pads slot into)

Then you can clearly see the holes the pins screw into.

Post photos of holes

Something tells me I need new pins ...
Can you tell which one is the bottom pin ?

Attachments

• 20240324_153517.jpg
    20240324_153517.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 18
No consellation, but our Seat also destroyed its thread. In that case a very clearly faulty part with a blob of metal on the thread. It required a £500 hub change, so a caliper is at least more reasonablly priced. Those pins screwed into the hub on that. They are identical to the Fiat ones.
Yup. As I said above, the chap who carried out the thread repair/insert on our Ibiza said it was a common repair on them. I think the big problem is the difficulty in getting the second pin to line up so you don't cross thread it. Just takes one ham fisted cowboy and it's ruined.

Something tells me I need new pins ...
Can you tell which one is the bottom pin ?
I agree with Mike, my bet is on the one on the right. you could take a picture of it and use it as an illustration in a book about "waisted" threads. Definitely requires a new one.

What's the thread in the carrier like? the pin's thread doesn't look totally destroyed, maybe you'll get away with the thread in the casting?

I hope so I'll get a pin kit and will let you know .... thanks all for your support in this you guys are the best 😁
The pin on the right is the bad one I can't believe how deformed it is and it's 2mm longer than the good one ?

Yup. As I said above, the chap who carried out the thread repair/insert on our Ibiza said it was a common repair on them. I think the big problem is the difficulty in getting the second pin to line up so you don't cross thread it. Just takes one ham fisted cowboy and it's ruined.
Ours was a 1mm wart of stainless steel on the thread. Had i seen it and filed it off I would have saved a lot of pain. Inspect the new pins and make sure the threads are sound and work well before installing. There are plenty of carriers around at breakers and I would rate a second hand part the best thimng in this case. You know it will fit.

Last edited:
Ours was a 1mm wart of stainless steel on the thread. Had i seen it and filed it off I would have saved a lot of pain. Inspect the new pins and make sure the threads are sound and work well before installing. There are plenty of carriers around at breakers and I would rate a second hand part the best thimng in this case. You know it will fit.
First class advice that. Never assume a part is going to be perfect just because it's new. Always compare to the used part too as manufacturer's will often change things as a model ages and sometimes the modern bit will require a small modification to fit.

Can't find any drivers side caliper casting so ordered some pins from Big Red and they arrived yesterday, used a liitle silicone greese that came with them on the thread and carefully screwed it in ..... it worked !! tightened up beautifully wow ..... now for the passenger side break pads.

Can't find any drivers side caliper casting so ordered some pins from Big Red and they arrived yesterday, used a liitle silicone greese that came with them on the thread and carefully screwed it in ..... it worked !! tightened up beautifully wow ..... now for the passenger side break pads.

For anyone else who comes accross this thread the caliper carriers are unlikely to be different left or right side.

Just completed the pasenger side caliper with no issues .... thats it all done !!

The Panda 2014 1.2 Lounge has ATE calipers which have 2 pins that both need to be removed to change the pads.

Just to summarise : 1 pin was over torqued and was deformed luckily this didn't thread the caliper carrier, once the bad pin was removed by using a flat blade screwdriver to leverage the pin out while unscrewing it with a Hex No.7 a new pins was purchased from Bigg Red for £5 and replaced. Use quality silicone grease to lube the pin threads.

Just completed the pasenger side caliper with no issues .... thats it all done !!

The Panda 2014 1.2 Lounge has ATE calipers which have 2 pins that both need to be removed to change the pads.

Just to summarise : 1 pin was over torqued and was deformed luckily this didn't thread the caliper carrier, once the bad pin was removed by using a flat blade screwdriver to leverage the pin out while unscrewing it with a Hex No.7 a new pins was purchased from Bigg Red for £5 and replaced. Use quality silicone grease to lube the pin threads.
What a great outcome for you. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down in any way but I'd have used a low strength tread locking fluid - like blue Loctite - https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...ker-red-or-blue-which-ones-right-for-you.html It will act to reduce the likelihood of a fixing loosening off whilst at the same time sealing the thread from moisture and so greatly reducing the possibility of it rusting in place. Grease of any sort used in this way, may encourage the pin to slacken with vibration?

If the thought of using a thread locker worries you because you might think it'll make undoing the fixing more difficult at a later date then don't worry. I use blue thread locker like this quite a lot and have no problems undoing stuff. It's Red "brother" needs a little more thought as it's intended for stuff you're not expecting to have to dismantle ordinarily. I've used it with great success on ball and roller races where the fit into the casing, often a softer ally casting, is not as tight as might be expected. Works well on engine and transmission bearings on my elderly horticultural machines where the casings were never manufactured to very close tolerances in the first place!

Back