Technical Fiat Doblo 1.6 New Crank. Won't Start! Please Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Doblo 1.6 New Crank. Won't Start! Please Help!

johnboy111

Hi, I've put a new crank and bearings in my 2015 1.6 fiat Doblo and now it wont start. Crank is in the correct way. Timing is set up properly, the injectors work (I have tried another set off injectors and still the same issue) The sensors all appear to be working as there's no codes. I've also put a new egr and oil cooler on.

There are no codes.

I turn the ignition on, the engine turns over and try's to start, but will not fire up.

I've bled the fuel system through.

It will run on easy start.

I've uploaded a video of the issue.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers, John

doblo video non start

I take it this is a 1.6D

Are the heater plugs working. You say it will start with easy start?

What other parts have you disturbed during the work? Is some re learing needed? Proxy alignment required.

Is thge immobiliser disorganised? If so they usually try and start but just dont.

Hi, yes its the 1.6d.

The heater plugs are working.

Yeah will start with easy start.

Theres no codes coming up for a proxy alignment, the mileage isn't flashing either.

Im not sure about the immobiliser. The ecu was off to get the engine out. I will try another battery in the fob tomorrow.

Most parts have been disturbed as the engine was taken out. so every sensor has been unplugged, fuel lines etc

cheers

I take it this is a 1.6D

Are the heater plugs working. You say it will start with easy start?

What other parts have you disturbed during the work? Is some re learing needed? Proxy alignment required.

Is thge immobiliser disorganised? If so they usually try and start but just dont.

It not continuing to run after a stumble along on easy start means you are missing something important

Missing timing input from CRANK sensor would be favourite

Otherwise you need to get a figure from the fuel rail..
Without a big pressure the ECU wont allow injection ;-)
The fuel rail pressure is ok.

After looking at another forum today i think it will be the crank timing is out...

The crank sensor is ok. The engine was running before hand but the crank was knocking.

Is it running now?
No its not. Double checked the timing that's ok.

I think it may well be the reluctor ring on the new crank I've put in.

Will have to get the sump off and count the teeth and compare it to the original.

Have you got any other ideas before i go about taking the sump off?

Cheers

Hi ive checked the crank and the reluctor ring that all measures up ok.

I took the injectors out and checked and they're only firing once. What could cause this?

The only thing left seems to be the fuel cut off solenoid that allows the engine to run, and also stops it? I have heard of these failing or it could be a dodgy connection / wire. I dont know where it would be though.
Hi, I've checked the fuel cut off solenoid and it was working. im pretty lost now tbh

Hi, I've checked the fuel cut off solenoid and it was working. im pretty lost now tbh
Take a breather and back to basics. Check the ECO pins and also try gently jiggling the harness. I noticed some of the injector wiring on my Bravo was pretty slim stuff and I wonder if there is a break. This seems more like the ecu is preventing it from running due to some sensor or other. Have you had it connected to MES?

I would also be tempted to ask a dealers workshop foreman for suggestions. Sometimes they can be helpful.

You say the crank sensor is OK, or was. It does seem the obvious target for suspicion. I wonder if there is some reset routine required after all the bits have been removed. These things are too clver for their own good.

From what you say this must be something relatively slight like a sensor or a wire, or a procedure needed to activate everything may be in a set order to allow it to start.

I wouldnt rule out a call to Fiat customer services / technical departmemt.

I wonder if indeed you need a proxy alignment codes or no codes.

I have had MES show no codes before but the Fiat dealer system came up with three issues. They did subsequently fix the thing although a different car / issue. You seem to have to do proxy alignment for various bits of engine if they are replaced so this does sound possible.

Last edited:
I wonder if indeed you need a proxy alignment codes or no codes.

I have had MES show no codes before but the Fiat dealer system came up with three issues. They did subsequently fix the thing although a different car / issue. You seem to have to do proxy alignment for various bits of engine if they are replaced so this does sound possible.
Thanks for your help i'll get it all back together and give fiat a call tomorrow hopefully they send someone out.

Tried a different crank sensor still the same.

I did think about a proxy alignment. Hopefully fiats diagnostics will pick something up...

Thanks for your help i'll get it all back together and give fiat a call tomorrow hopefully they send someone out.

Tried a different crank sensor still the same.

I did think about a proxy alignment. Hopefully fiats diagnostics will pick something up...
I once put a Renault 12 timing chain on. AFter days of hassle, I found the timing marks were 180 degress out. It was assembled exactly as shown in the workshop manual. when I worked out where the camshaft needed to be all was resolved. I think its probably something minor as you seem to have done everything I can think of.

I have just looked at MES and there is on the 8 valve engine an injector codifying setting adjustment that appears to do something to the injectors, may be it sends types to the ECU?
Here are the notes.
Injector classification with IMA method (Injector Quantity Adjustment) is a procedure that aims at improving motoring performance and the emissions by combining the structural characteristic of each injector with the control software strategy inside the engine control unit.
The characteristics of each injector are identified by a series of 9 alphanumeric characters stamped on the injector body while still in the BOSCH Factory.
NOTE: Injector classification can only be performed with the engine off.
WARNING: When finished entering the code ALWAYS check the value reported in Parameters section. If the code is entered/stored incorrectly, repeat the procedure.
There is also a rest of lerned settings adjustment. It maybe just as simple as one of these things.
This really adds to my paranoid hatred of computer controlled engines. When they work, they are magnificent but when they dont......

I have spent a deal of time thinking on this and have no big ideas. I hope some moraa support helps. If you are still struggling next week I would be happy to come up and have a look with you if that would be of any use.

Back