Technical Fiat Barchetta accelerator lag

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Barchetta accelerator lag

huggie241

the other day I was driving along and my barchetta started to lag no power when I try to accelerate. I've notice that every hill I came too it had no power to climb the hill then all of sudden it shut off on it's own I restarted the car and it drove like a dream and then about 10 to 15 min. later it started all over again so I pulled over and shut off the car. and waited a few minutes and it ran like dream again anyone know what's going on here, there is no mechanic here in Canada that knows anything about fiat barchetta it's the only one here in Canada. tks :(
the barchetta is 1997

Last edited:
hi there ! the best way is conecting it to a lap top and make a diagnostic :cool:
you may check the fuel filter or fuel pump:chin: by your description it seams lack off fuel suply ...

I thought of that and going to try some fuel injection additive so it will clean the fuel system out and the injectors and see if that will work because I already checked the fuel pump and cleaned the fuel filter and don't know how to use diagnostic with a lap top don't have a program to do that. I'm wondering if the 97 barchetta have a fuel relay and if it does do you know where it is. tks.

I added the additive to clean out the injectors and fueled it right up full and took it for a little drive and it didn't lag at this point going to take it out again to day for a longer drive and see if that has fixed the problem.

if you allready check the fuel pump why do you need to now about the relay :confused:
cleaned the fuel filter :confused: ?? how did you do it ?? it's replayceble and it's cheap !!
any way , you can download the tecnical manual on the rigth topic from the forum you will find information about it and alot more if you need it ...
for making the diagnostic you will need a blue vagcom and a 3 pin cable if your car still doesn't have the obd plug (97 probably not) ,that you can buy on ebay, the software you can download the free version "multiecuscan" it's the most popular ; there is a specific topic for this to guide you also at the forum .
it could be an injector problem also , did you notice if the injection warning ligth at the dash came on at any time ?

Last edited:
if you allready check the fuel pump why do you need to now about the relay :confused:
cleaned the fuel filter :confused: ?? how did you do it ?? it's replayceble and it's cheap !!
any way , you can download the tecnical manual on the rigth topic from the forum you will find information about it and alot more if you need it ...
for making the diagnostic you will need a blue vagcom and a 3 pin cable if your car still doesn't have the obd plug (97 probably not) ,that you can buy on ebay, the software you can download the free version "multiecuscan" it's the most popular ; there is a specific topic for this to guide you also at the forum .
it could be an injector problem also , did you notice if the injection warning ligth at the dash came on at any time ?
this is all new to me and it does not help when it's the only car here in Canada and no mechanic that knows about this fiat barchetta so that means I have diagnostic it and fix it myself and this forum is my saver giving me knowledge on my fiat barchetta that I love, so you will see me here a lot when I run into trouble with my barchetta and I know that this forum will give me advise how to tackle what ever I have to do to keep my barchetta running thank you

no I didn't notice the injector warning light didn't think to look at the time

I can't find this specific topic in this forum, I'm new to this sorry

You select the model (barchetta) on top , then select (tecnical) , there you search for something like " multiecuscan" this for diagnostic ...
For downloading the tecnical manual there is a topic with the exact name and in last page i thynk you will find a link for it ...

Back