Falklands 30th

Currently reading:
Falklands 30th

french bean

Bye Stilo, Hello Doblo
As many of you are aware, today is the 30 anniversary of the invasion of the Falklands. I was serving at RAF Lyneham and although did not end up down there still had a pretty s****ty time. I am sure I am not the only one on this website. I also had some funny times - often the result of exhaustion.

Whilst the army trained, the navy made ready and the RAF worked out how to get stuff down there in a hurry and safely fly back again, I along with many others had to make as many aircraft ready for the conflict, speed up the servicing of the aircraft and fit inflight refuelling equipment to the Hercules. (They flew too slowly to safely refuel from the Victor tankers at the time). So a large number of us worked 12 hours for 5 days, followed immediately by 8 hours for 7 days followed by a weekend off. We often worked for upto 36 hours non stop. People forget, after the task force had left, we still needed to get equipment to Ascension ahead of them and that meant by air. This carried on throughout the campaign.

Whilst the task force sailed into danger and a lot of people lost their lives it must also be remembered that it could not have been done without the support of the people who stayed behind preparing and supplying the equipment required. Like all wars, there are far more people supporting the fighting force than actually on the front line.

So who else is there on this site with a story to tell?

I was reading about the Victor Tankers being too fast for the Hercules the other day. Completely nuts. Heard of a Victor diving as slowly as possible to give the hercules a chance to catch up to refuel.

Also saw a programme on 4OD about the first black buck raid, vulcans were apparently quite tricky to refuel too. incredible what was acheived. The vulcans were virtually scrap and had to have parts found in scrapyards and other places to get them into a condition that'll deliver 21,000lbs to the falklands from ascension.

One of the worst things about the refuelling was that the Americans had all the kit to convert the Hercs into Tankers and they REFUSED to give it to us in case it upset the Argentinians. This is our special friend with a special relationship remember(n) Our Squadron leader - OC AES had to literally design a new system on the back of a fag packet and then expect us to build it.

We used 4 transit tanks from the Hawker Siddeley Andover strapped to the floor, lots of large diameter rubber pipe feeding a collector box in the middle and then fuel being fed to a refuelling drum out the back.

I wish to express my thanks to the Americans for sitting on the fence, tearing up the special relationship we are supposed to have and only after it seemed likely that Argentina would lose, sending us the kit we needed like Airfield construction kit and more Sidewinder missiles

Back