30th November - Strike

Currently reading:
30th November - Strike

Stealth Locky

Everyday I'm shuffling
So who is coming out in Strike Wednesday?

http://www.unison.org.uk/pensions/myths.asp

http://www.unison.org.uk/pensions/lgps.asp

I don't want to be payin £50 a month more into a cash rich scheme.
I wouldn't mind of the money was going into the scheme but it is going to be used to try to repair the damage the banks have done.

At 22 I am only at the start of my career.

And for those who think that the ublic sector gets paid the same as the private, we don't. I coulf be on £30K a year in the private sector for my job, but I am on £17k in the public sector!

why not just change jobs then? :confused:

Because I like what I do and make a diffrence to schools!

Another thing to bare in mind is in the 2 years of working we have never had a pay rise so in effect we take a pay cut every year due to inflation.

Because I like what I do and make a diffrence to schools!

So......you are are moaning about something you could do but dont actually want to??

I could start selling my a**e round the back of Piccadilly bus station and see a huge increase my wages but guess what I dont want to......and am I moaning about it???

Seems pretty obvious to me where the problem is :)

Last edited:
So......you are are moaning about something you could do but dont actually want to??

I could start selling my a**e round the back of Piccadilly bus station and see a huge increase my wages but guess what I dont want to......and am I moaning about it???

Seems pretty obvious to me where the problem is :)

I enjoy what I do and money isn't everything, the pension issue us different the govenment are using it as a tax to pay off the decifit rather than to support the pension scheme. Read the guardian article above as it tells both sides.

Last edited:
With a population that is getting:
A. Older due to enhanced life expectancy
B. less productive (fewer people working as a proportion of population)
Would you suggest that the Government on behalf of the taxpayers who pay for your pension just sit back and let the problem of affordability get even worse? Or make some entirely reasonable adjustments ?
I realise that it may seem a bit tough at 22, but just think about the huge number of people earning less, more or the same as you in the private sector that will not enjoy your pension level or anything close to it.

My mother is a receptionist/teaching assistant (and I say that loosley because she does so much) at a primary school, the teachers rely on her so heavily, but she will not have any form of pension other than a government (state) pension and, due to being trained to handle violent children better than the teachers, has to deal with the children the teachers can't.

yes not all schools are the same, but the sole point I am making is that maybe, just maybe, it could be so much worse for you. Btw, my mum is 39.

Sometimes its good just to have a quick think about what you have already mate :)

I would like to see an example of a 22 year old walking straight into a £30k a year number such as the one you describe. WTF is you do exactly, you said you are at the start of your career so what qualifications, responsibilities and experience are you presently carrying. Its all got to be pretty impressive.

I accept there are wage differences between the public and private sectors but not to the tune of £13k pa for someone of your age with next to no experience.

Sounds to me like someone is being influenced by others and falling in line with the hype.

All the links mean nothing to me and its nothing new.

I cant say I have ever heard of a union turning round to its members and saying things like...

"your wages are more than enough for what it is you do.....you are lucky to get a subsidised pension.....how many holdays do you want FGS your employers are trying to make a profit out of you...... your benefits are something most people are jealous of......... your terms and conditions of employment are actually biased in your favour.....come on its not really a hard or demanding job now is it?......you are worried about your job? big deal pal so is everyone else in the UK"

Anyway...didnt we do all this once before......when the posties kicked off?

:D:D:D

It annoys me the strikes, if you want a better paid job/better pension, get another job. I couldn't go on strike if I wanted a pay rise, my step dad couldn't.

My sisters school is closed on Wednesday because of this, yet they get all ****ty when my mum asks to take her out of school for half a day to see my brothers Xmas play. Pot Kettle?

On the other hand, my brothers school, none of them are striking, but then you don't really go into that type of school (special needs) for the money.

Mrs Codger is a teacher, and she will not be on strike as a matter of principle. She has never been on strike in 30 + years as a teacher.
It is unnecessary, sets a bad example to the children, disrupts their education and inconveniences the working parents.
As for some of the civil servants, well we probably won't miss the odd town hall jobsworth, but vital jobs like border enforcement should simply not be allowed to strike. Full stop.
I notice that the pensions of the union bosses are in pretty good shape.

I haven't had a pay rise in 2 years. So as you I've effectively had a pay cut, combined with sky high fuel costs (I still get the same crumby allowence I did when petrol was 85p a litre) you don't see me walking out. The main reason being our customers would bugger of else where and so they should.

The public sector doesn't have a 'customer' or client to make happy. This is why they can get away with behaving like petulant children. You've got a job to do, the tax payer pays damn good money for you to do it (dont just think of you salary here ;)).

Mrs Codger is a teacher, and she will not be on strike as a matter of principle. She has never been on strike in 30 + years as a teacher.
It is unnecessary, sets a bad example to the children, disrupts their education and inconveniences the working parents.
As for some of the civil servants, well we probably won't miss the odd town hall jobsworth, but vital jobs like border enforcement should simply not be allowed to strike. Full stop.
I notice that the pensions of the union bosses are in pretty good shape.

Good on her, I wish the education system had more people like her :).

Back