Technical Extra lights on a Stilo

Currently reading:
Technical Extra lights on a Stilo

hi there, i have the same problem with my stilo.
the lights are awful. i have tried changing the main d2r bulbs to a higher ones from ebay and they were really good but kept turning on and off on there own so i sent them back. only reason i bought then is that they were £18 and the real ones in the shop was £80. well i learnt my lesson but and i know now not to buy cheap ones off ebay.
the only solution i can find it to try new bulbs from a shop and if that doesnt work then i will get spot lights to fit in the bottom of each grill and make a relay and a switch in the car. this is the only option i have found or the only other option i have found is to change the car as the bip lights on my stilo are really really bad, and i know it sound extreme changing a car just because of the lights are bad but i think after christmas that is my only option
Chris, I don't know if it is the same problem! If your lights were going on and off on their own I mean. My problem, which I seem to recall others talking about as well, is that the bulbs just blow out far too often, and always on the same side - in my case on the left side, the battery side, of an LHD car. All bulbs apart from the full beam one have had to be replaced in less than a year, all on the same side, and now the two side lights have gone again. And the bulbs I put in were not cheap ones, so they should last longer than a year. 4 sidelight bulbs, 1 low beam and one fog light in that time is too much of a coincidence! I'm suspecting some kind of spike or power surge goes through that light unit somehow... I need to find the fix!

What were the d2r bulbs you mentioned? The main beam bulbs?

Yes it is on the left side the same side as the battery.
A bulb had never blown on my car at all. I just changed them to see if they would be better.
Well I bought d2r 6000k bulbs off ebay and they were really really good but the passenger side kept going on and off and I dont know why, but the driver side one stays on with no problem.
It didn't happen with my other bulbs. BUT now I have put my original bulbs back in the passenger side bulbs goes on and off now, not a lot but id just does it randomly.

So I dont know what is going on with these stupid rubbish hid headlights.
I double checked everything but cant find out what the problem is.

so back using my rubbish lights now. it's really dangerous.

my full beam lights are bloody brilliant though, really really good. i got theses bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220889526...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_754wt_1336

i only just bought these ones. as i changed from the blue effect to clear ones.

BEFORE anyones sais all this like there illegal and all that. well if standard light were good then i wouldnt be using these.

these were the d2r bulbs i bough, and they were really good and would have kept them if the passenger side bulb wouldnt keep going on and off
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330503577...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1551wt_1102

is this a normal problem with the passenger lights the same side of the battery going on and off

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
BEFORE anyones sais all this like there illegal and all that. well if standard light were good then i wouldnt be using these.

Strange that your main lights (dipped beam) is so poor? Mine is quite good. But I have had trouble with low battery voltage and cheap bulbs earlier - having to change bulbs 5 times in one year. Osram's bulbs seem to last very long. Maybe someone has used 100 watts bulbs in your cluster before, texturing the reflector due to heat?

well i am back to my standard d2r bulbs now and iv been to halfords today and they want over £100 each for o ring brand ones. so think i might have to invest in some. but still not sure why the passenger bulbs goes on and off on its own.

well i have just changed my 100 watt full beam head lights now as for some reason there not as bright as what i already had. so im all back to standard.

maybe will have to invest in a new battery to get more voltage but not sure how that will help as the d2r bulbs are only 35 watt anyway

Yes I do remember you saying. I have been to a local pick up spares and it is £75 for two phillips bulbs there.
Well I am going to keep everything as it is now as it might be a new car. Was on about it not long ago as I need a automatic because of my hip. Getting hard to use the clutch plus doesn't help that it is heavy. Would rather sell it than brake the clutch.

Let there be light... :D

Wiring. Not the most clever place, but it's dry and have short wire lengths.
DSC00040Large.jpg

Purple wire from right cluster sends signal to the relay.
DSC00041Large.jpg

DSC00042Large.jpg

DSC00043Large.jpg

Last edited:
Back