Technical Euro 4 oil breather pipe

Currently reading:
Technical Euro 4 oil breather pipe

Afternoon all

For those who may have seen my last thread, the new engine (euro 4 replacing a euro 3 engine) is up and running now and after replacing the (old, melted) intake manifold I have it running at about 1500RPM at idle

The main reason I can see for this is that the new engine didn't come with an oil breather hose and the one off the old engine is oversized (the pipe on the head is about 20mm whereas the new one is 16mm or so).

For the purposes of getting the car up and running I've just whacked a hose clamp on the old breather pipe but it's still a bit wiggly and I think this may be the cause of my high/rough idle (I've had a good look over the throttle body and the rest of the vacuum components and all seem ok), but I'm having trouble identifying breather hoses online that fit a euro 4 engine. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Messaging ebay sellers has gotten me approximately nowhere as none seem to know the dimensions of the item.

Could this be what you're looking for:

Could this be what you're looking for:

Not sure, this is what the original looks like for context

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_134202_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_134202_eBay.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 27
I am pretty sure running without the pipe dose not make much difference to RPMs

I have had a
1.2 05 flyby TB
1.1 06 cable TB
1.2 10 flyby TB

They have all run fine with the airbox and pipes removed

If you think it’s a problem you could just temporarily block off the small hole under the TB

You will probably have to do a ICV relearn now it on a different engine

Last edited:
I am pretty sure running without the pipe dose not make much difference to RPMs

I have had a
1.2 05 flyby TB
1.1 06 cable TB
1.2 10 flyby TB

They have all run fine with the airbox and pipes removed

If you think it’s a problem you could just temporarily block off the small hole under the TB

You will probably have to do a ICV relearn now it on a different engine
I did see a noticeable difference between the engine running with/without the airbox and pipes - without the box it sits at about 2,500 and with it sits at about 1,500.

The other thing i noticed is that when the engine is starting from cold it shoots up to about 3000+RPM before settling at 1,500 after a minute or so (presumably when the engine has heated up) which is why I'm thinking a vacuum leak may be the issue

I did see a noticeable difference between the engine running with/without the airbox and pipes - without the box it sits at about 2,500 and with it sits at about 1,500.

The other thing i noticed is that when the engine is starting from cold it shoots up to about 3000+RPM before settling at 1,500 after a minute or so (presumably when the engine has heated up) which is why I'm thinking a vacuum leak may be the issue
These engines don’t have MAF so are quite tolerant of air leaks

The only one that normally makes a big difference is between the head and inlet manifold

The ICV will need a relearn as the engines are quite different

These engines don’t have MAF so are quite tolerant of air leaks

The only one that normally makes a big difference is between the head and inlet manifold

The ICV will need a relearn as the engines are quite different
I already fixed a leak between the head and the manifold and yes, that did make a big difference.

How do i do an ICV relearn?

If you have multiECUscan

I believe a Self-adaptation Reset will do it. Never tried myself. Elearn asks for it to be reset with Examiner after changing the throttle body

I also believe if you block off the idle control completely with your hand the revs should drop to around 500 or cut out

Don’t believe the rubbish on the internet about leaving the battery disconnect the only way if it will not self learn is via software

I'm not sure but they were very helpful when I was buying parts. Drop them an email or call tmrw to check.
Just want to say thank you again on this one - phoned them this morning and as you said they were super friendly and helpful and managed to get the right part. Fingers crossed it all works now!

Back