Technical Engine Swap out up or down?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Swap out up or down?

Multiodd

Hello,

My cam belt passed on and likely took the rest of the head with it too (though I haven't checked, I think its a pretty forgone conclusion).

I've purchased a whole engine complete and it's only done 59,000 miles.

Can you advise which form of action would now be best?

Swap just the heads over (a hassle with timing belts etc and gaskets).

Or just swap the engine complete?

Though people seem to advise the opposite, this engine was removed by the dismantler from the top and with the gearbox still in position, if others have done the same, wouldn't this massively ease the swappout procedure?

Thanks

I thought so, the engine is sitting in front of me and I've got a new cam belt kit here too, so fitting will be easy with this full access.

Can you advise on the removal? If the car dismantler managed it up and out with the gearbox in situ, this would seem to be the far easier method (and possible with me, in my parents drive with a borrowed engine crane hoist).

One issue I've also noticed, is the re-con engine has the later, two port manifold while my car (same 1.6 petrol) has the single port, cat directly connected version (with a cracked cat on it too).

Would you swap manifolds and re-weld the cracked cat or put a new down pipe and mid mounted cat on it instead?

Cheers.

Back