Technical eml light nightmares

Currently reading:
Technical eml light nightmares

Hugsy

Hi, I had to join this forum to get some help and advice. I bought a new ducato dropside in 2018 130hp non adblue engine. I believe it's the worst commercial vehicle I have ever owned and Fiat must realise it as they changed the engine to adblue very quickly. I do a lot of miles about 3k a month and when I reached 95k the eml came on so I took it into the main dealer I bought it from and they have tried 4 times over the last year to resolve the issue without success. They have replaced
L.P. Egr valve
DPF
4 injectors
H.P. Egr valve
I have spent 3k on the last 2 items as I'm over warranty mileage and lost a few weeks earnings over the period. The eml is on 90% of the time and goes off when it feels like it. Goes into limp mode about twice a week. The dealer wants to have a fifth go and suspects turbo issue, but after these experiences I think they are just replacing parts and crossing fingers and I have no confidence in a true fix. Any ideas would be appreciated, I am no mechanic so would have to pay for any works.
Any help would be appreciated.

@Hugsy
There are some here with similar experiances
Have you been given any of the error codes,
Do you know if they have programmed the ECU and do you know the issue of the software.
Has the MAP sensor been changed.
@Fredastaire
@Geomore
and a little light reading

@Hugsy
There are some here with similar experiances
Have you been given any of the error codes,
Do you know if they have programmed the ECU and do you know the issue of the software.
Has the MAP sensor been changed.
@Fredastaire
@Geomore
and a little light reading

Fiat dealer plugged it in last week when eml was off would you believe and showed stored faults
p1248-92 downstream sensor
p2244-92 upstream sensor
p0402-61 air tracking control
p0401-61 egr h.p.
the last item was replaced only 3 months ago
the vehicle scan report shows ecm software version is 0032
I don't think they have changed a map sensor
My friend has the same engine and has only changed all injectors and both up and down sensors to cure his eml issues same mileage as me around 150k
After reading all the threads on this issue I get the feeling there is no easy fix without replacing every component around the exhaust/emission areas which is very expensive and feel Fiat has sold us a pup without recourse. If nobody can offer up an easy solution I wonder if I could buy one of those obd readers to just clear the light myself and think about part exchanging this awful motor.

Last edited:
@Hugsy
the software you need is
including hardware from distributor in swansea who will help you set up (on phone) if required
please note this is for windows laptop only
a standard OBD2 dongle is of no use to you as you will need the special Fiat attributes.
I you dont have a suitable lap top we can then talk about an alternative.
Once we have you hooked up and taking data i think we can move forward. I think this "2017EGR community" is beggining to understand the problems. @Fredastaire

1/ Might I suggest you read and join in on the post which I put up last year p...... What do I check next as it got more people in it.
2/ it's a must that you buy Multiecuscan from Gendan with their two leads.
3/. Then visually check all the intercooler and pipes for spits, leaks and holes plus check the top vacuum hoses.
4/. Fit a brand new MAP from Bosch and new turbo solenoid, these two will cost you circa £90.
5/. Then go for run with live MES monitoring airflows and temperatures and study the injectors and dpf for regens.
6/. At the moment mine is surviving with only p401 hidden code, no Mil, no limp. I suspect my LP EGR cooler may be blocked though.
Please can one of our other members copy your original post para and my reply here on to my main thread. I've only a phone at the moment and can't copy/ paste/ link easily.
Together we can probably get you on a better path forward. I also invite you to private message me with your email / phone number HOWEVER don't post it direct on this post for public viewing.
I'm not the expert but probably have best success at the moment even though mine is not 100% cured.
By the way, everybody changes the HP EGR because the code reading says it's blocked, it's terribly misleading because 99% it's not the problem.

To anyone with P401 issues on a twin EGR model I am trying to analize data from live runs of Multiscan monitoring certain parameters. The pricise parameters are controlled by templates 6 to 9 in the mes template.ini file and data is saved as a .csv file. If anyone is prepared to do this please reply either by open forum or PM (conversation) and i will give precise info and advice. The more info i have the more likely we can come up with a test method to properly diagnose and confirm repair.

1/ Might I suggest you read and join in on the post which I put up last year p...... What do I check next as it got more people in it.
2/ it's a must that you buy Multiecuscan from Gendan with their two leads.
3/. Then visually check all the intercooler and pipes for spits, leaks and holes plus check the top vacuum hoses.
4/. Fit a brand new MAP from Bosch and new turbo solenoid, these two will cost you circa £90.
5/. Then go for run with live MES monitoring airflows and temperatures and study the injectors and dpf for regens.
6/. At the moment mine is surviving with only p401 hidden code, no Mil, no limp. I suspect my LP EGR cooler may be blocked though.
Please can one of our other members copy your original post para and my reply here on to my main thread. I've only a phone at the moment and can't copy/ paste/ link easily.
Together we can probably get you on a better path forward. I also invite you to private message me with your email / phone number HOWEVER don't post it direct on this post for public viewing.
I'm not the expert but probably have best success at the moment even though mine is not 100% cured.
By the way, everybody changes the HP EGR because the code reading says it's blocked, it's terribly misleading because 99% it's not the problem.
If you could let baz kent know if he wants me to put my story forward to Fiat as a very unsatisfied customer.
In the meantime my local mechanic is going to try replacing these 2 items in the next few months
maf sensor (part number and supplier if you have to hand) looks an easy job from under bonnet
turbo solenoid (part number and supplier if you have to hand) my mechanic can't find this and he has garage lift, he's thinking this might be part of the whole turbo kit ?
He will during one of the fixes do a smoke test for leaking pipes.
Mine is a manual gearbox by the way. Any info would be appreciated

Back