Technical Egr problem

Currently reading:
Technical Egr problem

Hi guys
I have a fiat ducato 2015 3ltr manual.
Had diagnostic on no fault codes. On live data EGR valve not working changed EGR and cooler brand new still not working, got no turbo when driving its flat as a fart. My next step was to check out the wiring from the EGR to the ECU but don't have a wiring diagram, can anyone help me out please? Kind regards Jamie.

Hi guys
I have a fiat ducato 2015 3ltr manual.
Had diagnostic on no fault codes. On live data EGR valve not working changed EGR and cooler brand new still not working, got no turbo when driving its flat as a fart. My next step was to check out the wiring from the EGR to the ECU but don't have a wiring diagram, can anyone help me out please? Kind regards Jamie.
Mmmm egr's are bad news. Many have issues with them and they can cause an engine shutdown in extremes. Great if you are out in the never-never.
Rather than taking that risk as I often travel in the outback, I chose to map my egr out. Motor runs better. Oil stays cleaner. Manifold doesn't gunk up. DPF doesn't have to regen nearly as often. List is endless.
egr important if driving in cities all the time. In country, far less important.
Ian.

Hello, the EGR gets blamed for lot of things, often rightly, often not. You have replaced yours now so hopefully mechanically now ok if associated pipes are clear and reconnected tight.
Another very common thing would be a wiring fault such as corroded or breaking connector contact and in some cases frayed wires. Remove and inspect the EGR wiring connectors, even the friction of doing so might help.
Depending on overall condition of your van and if water gets in around the wiring boxes, mostly around the headlight and near the air filter, it might be worth a good inspection in those too.
Have you rescanned the live data? Did you actually see the actual actuator line depart from the demand very much? Scope the air pressures too, on my van they follow exactly unless you coast the engine.

Flat power indicates insufficient air or fuel. When was the fuel or air filter last changed? Anecdotally I don't think diesel Ecus are very good at generating faults due to starvation of either air or fuel and might simply adjust parameters to a limit.
Maybe the turbo?

Last edited:
If you have no boost, there has to be a fault logged. Maybe your scanner is not as good as needed. Perhaps you need to get it done properly at a Fiat place.

Ian.

Hello, the EGR gets blamed for lot of things, often rightly, often not. You have replaced yours now so hopefully mechanically now ok if associated pipes are clear and reconnected tight.
Another very common thing would be a wiring fault such as corroded or breaking connector contact and in some cases frayed wires. Remove and inspect the EGR wiring connectors, even the friction of doing so might help.
Depending on overall condition of your van and if water gets in around the wiring boxes, mostly around the headlight and near the air filter, it might be worth a good inspection in those too.
Have you rescanned the live data? Did you actually see the actual actuator line depart from the demand very much? Scope the air pressures too, on my van they follow exactly unless you coast the engine.

Flat power indicates insufficient air or fuel. When was the fuel or air filter last changed? Anecdotally I don't think diesel Ecus are very good at generating faults due to starvation of either air or fuel and might simply adjust parameters to a limit.
Maybe the turbo?[/QUOTE

Service had been done previously that was my first port of call. Live data says that the air and fuel are OK. Done an actuator test on the turbo, tuobo position sensor says it is ok, done a command test on the EGR valve it is opening and closing, stripped the wiring from the EGR to the ECU all 4 wires are OK. I know what you are saying about logging a fault code but none are logged and none pending. I am using a fiat dealer diagnostic system. I WILL get to the cause of it eventually lol ?

Maybe the turbo?[/QUOTE

Service had been done previously that was my first port of call. Live data says that the air and fuel are OK. Done an actuator test on the turbo, tuobo position sensor says it is ok, done a command test on the EGR valve it is opening and closing, stripped the wiring from the EGR to the ECU all 4 wires are OK. I know what you are saying about logging a fault code but none are logged and none pending. I am using a fiat dealer diagnostic system. I WILL get to the cause of it eventually lol ?

Attachments

• _20200417_112533.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 56
Back