Technical Ducato ignition barrell jammed

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato ignition barrell jammed

Ashbash

Hi all, I have a 2007 lwb ducato. About 14 months ago the ignition barrell refused to turn with the key, a friend removed the steering lock and ignition assembly so I could manually turn the ignition switch (not the key and barrell) and continue to use the van. I've struggled to find anyone who can tell me how to release the barrell so I can repair it. Everybody suggests turning the key to the first position and then depressing the barrell release button. BUT, the key won't turn at all so that isn't a solution. All garages I've approached want around £900 for a whole new set of locks plus the labour. I can't afford this and know how to get round the problem if I can just get the barrell out. Any suugestions please?

Worst case scenario is £20. Youll need to cut a slot in the shear bolts or drift them open with a punch to remove. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition...Ducato&hash=item287d01887d:g:nYoAAOSwSWRc0puX

You can cut and file the key blades to fit a flip key.

It might not be the barrel at all but the pawl mechanism in the housing. If you look inside where the switch goes there is a gear that turns. This is retained by a central pin sometimes the pin is loose and this allows the plastic ratchet to jam the lock. Remove the pin and gear if its loose and see if the key turns.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
My 2006 2.8 JTD ....already had the ignition barrel on mine changed.

...might be a common fault?

Back