Technical Ducato Airbag Module

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Airbag Module

Janey64

Advice needed where I can get an airbag module fixed or anyone know anyone selling one. Part no 1336356080

Found it on another forum, they are from the UK, too:

PN is different, so check with them first.

I suggest you read this post especialy my inputs and look at the graphs. before reading the rest of this post

The Multiple failures are due to "repairs" all data in those graphs is attributed to 1 company with a fast turnaround.
Typicaly a "repair" is just a reset of the data related to seting the MIL, No internal visual examination or repair of oxidation or dry joints. NO real understanding of why they fail exists. The high and lo voltages attributed to failure are typical of what you would expect in a van environment anyway. THe location, condensation and poor earths to the module are also suspect.The "repairs" can last a day or years. Ask about gaurentee. What is not in doubt is the replacement from Fiat is a new design (if you make shure it is and not an old one hanging around) and has to date shown a better reliability. (anecdotal evidence only).

I suggest you read this post especialy my inputs and look at the graphs. before reading the rest of this post

The Multiple failures are due to "repairs" all data in those graphs is attributed to 1 company with a fast turnaround.
Typicaly a "repair" is just a reset of the data related to seting the MIL, No internal visual examination or repair of oxidation or dry joints. NO real understanding of why they fail exists. The high and lo voltages attributed to failure are typical of what you would expect in a van environment anyway. THe location, condensation and poor earths to the module are also suspect.The "repairs" can last a day or years. Ask about gaurentee. What is not in doubt is the replacement from Fiat is a new design (if you make shure it is and not an old one hanging around) and has to date shown a better reliability. (anecdotal evidence only).
Do the part numbers or serial numbers vary between the old SRS and the new one?
Is it easy to recognize which one is which?

This is a part from a pre-2007 Ducato as far as I can see. Accordingly, both "Fix" and replacement are somewhat more difficult to source than those for later vehicles.

Crashdata, though, do say they will (attempt to) fix that particular part number:

Patently, it might not be fixable (it depends on the nature of failure), or any repair might only be a temporary fix.

I've just gone through the "fix" process with Northern Auto Tech, and my re-flashed unit (2018) has successfully survived its first long return trip, but this was the correct route for me, since I could diagnose the fault myself (multiECUscan) and diagnosis at a Fiat dealer would have been rather more costly than trying out a repaired unit. My fall back is to purchase new and install myself.

Self-installation of a new/replacement unit on the post-2006 'vans requires the unit to be coded to the vehicle via a Proxi-Align process (something MultiECUscan can do). A repaired unit doesn't generally require coding.

For the pre-2007 'vans, I suspect things are somewhat different, and you may require exactly the same part number.

Do the part numbers or serial numbers vary between the old SRS and the new one?
Is it easy to recognize which one is which?
I suspect that there are still a few original part numbers around as "old stock", but there seems to be a new, and very different range of numbers for the recent stock.

There are a number of separate designs to be replaced, so there is also a range of new part numbers, which appear to begin with "04". Patently, research would be required to identify the correct replacement (a number of website sources list compatible/cross reference numbers).

There is apocryphal data that these newer numbers don't/are less likely to fail. Given the potential low age of the new ones, the jury is out for me, but if I were replacing, patently I'd be looking for the new number.

There is also a perception that Fiat has changed supplier. Certainly, the new series seem to be badged "ZF" rather than "TRW", but easy research indicates that ZF are the parent company of TRW, and the latter haven't had a good press on airbags (not only Ducato, big issues in the States apparently) so I wouldn't be surprised if the re-badging were for reputational purposes.

Beware - that's one part number (and incidentally the one that would replace mine) but there are different ones spending on the function(s) originally fitted, so a close perusal of compatible part numbers is required .
Is there a list of compatible part numbers that you can guide us towards?

Not a definitive one, no. (Though an up-to-date version of ePer would advise).

Of the various non-Fiat outlets for purchase, a number do publish cross-references. The page here, for instance, for the part number you reference, gives a list of cross-references, one of which is the part number for my vehicle.

Perusing the other units for sale by Coastal will reveal that there are a number of variations historically, matched by a number of different "04" units in the newer numbering range.

I'm wary of taking all such cross-references as gospel, though, as I've found references on certain sites that look patently wrong (including two "04" parts being cross-referenced when they are patently different - single front passenger seat vs double (with single and double seat belts respectively)).

Back