Technical Ducato 2.3lt Failing Diesel Filters

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.3lt Failing Diesel Filters

LCP999

Greetings All,

I own a 2009 Fiat Ducato Swift Escape, acquired in April of this year, and it has only covered 23,000 miles so far.

Regrettably, I've experienced four significant 'diesel fuel leaks' since April. The leaks consistently originate from the screw-seal area. Each time, I've addressed the issue by installing new (green top) fuel filters.

I'm seeking advice or solutions from anyone who may have experience with this issue.

Thank you.

Perhaps I do not qualify, as I have yet to experience even a single filter failure, and the request for advice was quite clearly limited to those with experience. My apologies if my contribution is unwelcome.

After I worked out that the all black plastic bodied UFI filter on my 2006 2.8jtd
was essentially what was referred to as a "green filter", I developed a keen interest. Also the tank mounted fuel filter on our 2011 Saab 1.9TTid, is also a very similar black plastic UFI unit.

The green filter fitted to x250 models gained a bad reputation for developing leaks after servicing.
I have read of spare filters being carried. I am sure that you will understand the reason why!

The most plausible explanation seemed to be, a failure to follow correct procedure, and use the necessary tools when servicing. A special tool set is needed to hold the filter body, and cap when dismantling, and on reassembly. There is a specified torque to apply when refixing the cap.

I have not previously learned of apparently new filters failing, either singly, or repeatedly. Another explanation is required.

I can only think of three possibilities, of which I will mention two, as I regard the third as improbable.

1. The replacement filters were old stock, and the sealing "O" rings had aged.
2.. The low pressure fuel circuit on the vehicle, is running at a higher than normal pressure. The pressure is apparently controlled by a relief valve contained in the tank mounted fuel lift pump, but there is also a relief valve in the 4 way coupling downstream from the filter. Maximum pressure is quoted as 5 Bar in Fiat eLearn. Checking the pressure would require fitting special plumbing and a gauge.

Regarding 1 above, this could be more easily eliminated by correctly fitting a replacement filter cartridge and "O" ring. This is assuming that a replacement element would be newer stock than the complete filter.

"O" rings do, or did have a shelf life of perhaps 10 years. During my working life, I was closely associated with those who found this out the hard way, when service items drawn from stores failed, and new "O" rings had to be obtained from the makers. With the size of the plant involved, it was not a small job to repeat.

Link to element change procedure

Perhaps I do not qualify, as I have yet to experience even a single filter failure, and the request for advice was quite clearly limited to those with experience. My apologies if my contribution is unwelcome.

After I worked out that the all black plastic bodied UFI filter on my 2006 2.8jtd
was essentially what was referred to as a "green filter", I developed a keen interest. Also the tank mounted fuel filter on our 2011 Saab 1.9TTid, is also a very similar black plastic UFI unit.

The green filter fitted to x250 models gained a bad reputation for developing leaks after servicing.
I have read of spare filters being carried. I am sure that you will understand the reason why!

The most plausible explanation seemed to be, a failure to follow correct procedure, and use the necessary tools when servicing. A special tool set is needed to hold the filter body, and cap when dismantling, and on reassembly. There is a specified torque to apply when refixing the cap.

I have not previously learned of apparently new filters failing, either singly, or repeatedly. Another explanation is required.

I can only think of three possibilities, of which I will mention two, as I regard the third as improbable.

1. The replacement filters were old stock, and the sealing "O" rings had aged.
2.. The low pressure fuel circuit on the vehicle, is running at a higher than normal pressure. The pressure is apparently controlled by a relief valve contained in the tank mounted fuel lift pump, but there is also a relief valve in the 4 way coupling downstream from the filter. Maximum pressure is quoted as 5 Bar in Fiat eLearn. Checking the pressure would require fitting special plumbing and a gauge.

Regarding 1 above, this could be more easily eliminated by correctly fitting a replacement filter cartridge and "O" ring. This is assuming that a replacement element would be newer stock than the complete filter.

"O" rings do, or did have a shelf life of perhaps 10 years. During my working life, I was closely associated with those who found this out the hard way, when service items drawn from stores failed, and new "O" rings had to be obtained from the makers. With the size of the plant involved, it was not a small job to repeat.

Link to element change procedure
Thank you Communicator, certainly food for thought.

Mine failed after doing 14000 miles in my Ducato since I bought it. I hadn't interfered with it at all.
Bought a (non-original) complete unit and that spewed a gallon on the road last night after less than a month of use.
The web is full of stories about this awful design - OE stuff included. *
Consensus seems to be to carry a spare unit at all times as it is at least an easy swap.
What I'd also like to do is: cement the lid on and seal it permanently!
I'd rather not break down, and rather not dump potentially gallons of diesel on the road in the first place because that is not just expensive but dangerous!
Thing is - what adhesive/cement/sealant can I use that might bond to this plastic?

*To anyone who says 'These filters are fine - it's the fitter, non OE replacements' etc - how often do engine oil filters spontaneously dump all the engine oil on the road because the O-ring decides it just can't be bothered today? Like, never?

Attachments

• 20240109_143123.jpg
    20240109_143123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240109_143112.jpg
    20240109_143112.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Thanks for your post detailing your experience. After much reflection and a new season ahead, I have decided to let a main dealer replace the fuel filter at a cost north of £300. Wish me luck.

Thanks for your post detailing your experience. After much reflection and a new season ahead, I have decided to let a main dealer replace the fuel filter at a cost north of £300. Wish me luck.
Ohhh man. If you have the slightest diy ability you can get an OE complete unit for less than a hundred.
You don't even need a spanner - it lifts up off its bracket once you've unclipped the connectors.
Just clip the new one in and you've saved yourself £200+.

Yes, I know.....too much!
In the past 12 months I have replaced the fuel filter 3 times with a new unit which fails eventually.

Yes, I know.....too much!
In the past 12 months I have replaced the fuel filter 3 times with a new unit which fails eventually.
Hell's Bells. Replaced the complete unit?
The unit the dealer fits will be no more or less prone to failure than an OE one you buy, you realise?

Back