Technical Ducato 2.3JTD non starter-going through the motions.

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2.3JTD non starter-going through the motions.

Breakishnick

Hello and good morning. I'll give a brief description as to what has happened to my 2003 2.3 JTD, i've found the forum very helpful for similar issues. Pulled away from home last week, stopped dead as if key turned off. Poked and prodded a few bits, rolled it back to get out of the way, turned over fine but wouldn't start. Left it 5 mins, started fine and off we went, did 300 miles over 3 days with zero issues. 3 days ago, exactly the same fault in exactly the same place (seriously, within a metre) BUT, this time, refused to start. LP pump kicking in fine, immobiliser lamp going out, I've replaced the pump regulator as its an easy fix, but to no avail. Hopefully someone has had the same problem and can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Hello and good morning. I'll give a brief description as to what has happened to my 2003 2.3 JTD, i've found the forum very helpful for similar issues. Pulled away from home last week, stopped dead as if key turned off. Poked and prodded a few bits, rolled it back to get out of the way, turned over fine but wouldn't start. Left it 5 mins, started fine and off we went, did 300 miles over 3 days with zero issues. 3 days ago, exactly the same fault in exactly the same place (seriously, within a metre) BUT, this time, refused to start. LP pump kicking in fine, immobiliser lamp going out, I've replaced the pump regulator as its an easy fix, but to no avail. Hopefully someone has had the same problem and can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Well, after a bit of poking around it seems to be no fuel on the HP side, which points to the HP pump, or the fuel pressure regulator (which I've already replaced) or a wiring issue not letting the regulator function. Anyone any ideas?

There was a thread where a partially blocked inline filter was located in the HP pump inlet port. Cannot currently remember engine type. Perhaps @bugsymike can remember something, from his considerable experience?

Last edited:
There was a thread where a partially blocked inline filter was located in the HP pump inlet port. Cannot currently remember engine type. Perhaps @bugsymike can remember something, from his considerable experience?

I'm off for another session of prodding around before I finally give up and resign myself that it's a faulty pump. Hope I can find an elusive filter somewhere on the pump

I have now found the thread that I was thinking about. It was started by @grachal whose perseverence demands admiration. The thread related x230 2.0jtd, but may be relevant. See final post.
"

Update:
I found a post from a guy in a Peugeot forum, stating that he has seen the same issue on multiple 2.0 HDI's. He wrote its the fuel pressure regulator, most likely dirty or defective.
I gave it a shot, and to my big surprise. He was right. The tiny fine metal filter on the tip of the FPR was completely full of very fine debris, almost not visible to the eye (surprised that the fuel filter doesn't sort this out).
Cleaned it with brake clean, reinstall and voila. Engine stops normal again.

The big Question now is why?? Sadly the guy did not write this. Very interesting. Maybe the FPR acts as a shutoff valve?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023"

Like LikeQuoteReply

I have now found the thread that I was thinking about. It was started by @grachal whose perseverence demands admiration. The thread related x230 2.0jtd, but may be relevant. See final post.
"

Update:
I found a post from a guy in a Peugeot forum, stating that he has seen the same issue on multiple 2.0 HDI's. He wrote its the fuel pressure regulator, most likely dirty or defective.
I gave it a shot, and to my big surprise. He was right. The tiny fine metal filter on the tip of the FPR was completely full of very fine debris, almost not visible to the eye (surprised that the fuel filter doesn't sort this out).
Cleaned it with brake clean, reinstall and voila. Engine stops normal again.

The big Question now is why?? Sadly the guy did not write this. Very interesting. Maybe the FPR acts as a shutoff valve?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023"

View attachment 432960 LikeQuoteReply
I agree, I think the FPR acts as a shut off as well as metering fuel. Be great if that was my problem, but unfortunately it's not, it was one of the first things i replaced. Ah well, onwards and upwards. Currently checking every fuel port for contamination

Back