Technical Compatible 5spd gearbox from 2.8 turbo ducato on 2.8 non turbo 2000 models.

Currently reading:
Technical Compatible 5spd gearbox from 2.8 turbo ducato on 2.8 non turbo 2000 models.

Diona

Would a gearbox from a 2.8 turbo fit a 2.8 non turbo engine. Year 2000 models ty

Would a gearbox from a 2.8 turbo fit a 2.8 non turbo engine. Year 2000 models ty
If they are both 2.8 Sofim engines, then they should physically fit, though I suspect the turbo one may be slightly higher geared.
Others may advise better.
To be honest I wasn't aware of any of the 2.8s being non turbo, only some of the much older 2.5s.
I was more familiar with the Iveco Daily RWD vehicles with those 2.5 and 2.8 Sofim engines and from memory the engine to bellhousing fittings were the same.
They did have an earlier version pre possibly 1996 which may be different as in 8140 series but not 2.5 and 2.8 engines.
You may find looking at photos of the Sofim engines and gearboxes on eBay etc. give you a idea of the layout.:)

If they are both 2.8 Sofim engines, then they should physically fit, though I suspect the turbo one may be slightly higher geared.
To be honest I wasn't aware of any of the 2.8s being non turbo, only some of the much older 2.5s.
I was more familiar with the Iveco Daily RWD vehicles with those 2.5 and 2.8 Sofim engines and from memory the engine to bellhousing fittings were the same.
They did have an earlier version pre possibly 1996 which may be different as in 8140 series but not 2.5 and 2.8 engines.
You may find looking at photos of the Sofim engines and gearboxes on eBay etc. give you a idea of the layout.:)
I do not have the benefit of @bugsymike 's practical experience, but from Wikipedia the 2.8, and 2.8idTD engines were both offered in 1998-1999, and were replaced in 2000, by the 2.8jtd, which is basically the same engine in a common (fuel) rail configuration with electronic control of injection. The gearbox was only changed in 2002, with the "facelift" of the x230 to x244 model. Still basically the same vehicle, but it also had significant wiring, and instrument panel changes. Clutch control became hydraulic.

I cannot see any reason why the mounting details mentioned above by Mike would have been changed. So possibly a gearbox from a later (2000 - 2002, x230 model) would also fit. Using an even later gearbox would add the complication of changing to hydraulic clutch control.

Yes, we had a non turbo 2.8 ducato, it was a plodder but, like the 2.5, would sit at 70 all day long and not loose speed on most slopes. The gearing is slightly different but can’t remember if it’s like the iveco where 1st was a ‘crawler gear, just to get the non turbo off the line

Yes, we had a non turbo 2.8 ducato, it was a plodder but, like the 2.5, would sit at 70 all day long and not loose speed on most slopes. The gearing is slightly different but can’t remember if it’s like the iveco where 1st was a ‘crawler gear, just to get the non turbo off the line
Yes my first Iveco Daily was a 1996-97 2.5 Indirect injection 80Hp 3.5 tonne van with crawler "dog leg" first gear non turbo, subsequently I had the Direct injection 2.8s which were all turbo and then later intercooled greatly improved acceleration and economy. They were all 3.5 tonne and some twin wheel so not to concerned about top speed, but well able to carry that weight and tow a trailer of equal weight. The last ones were 2.8JTD 130Hp the Daily 35C13, the 35 was the weight in tonnes, the C was the twin wheel as opposed to the S which was the single wheel and the 13 was 130Hp.
Economy wise they averaged around 24mpg even with a full load towing so I felt that was good. I did have an extended long wheel base van with the later 2.3 DOHC which returned 28mpg, but was single wheel and towing weight was less I recall.
I can't compare any knowledge I may have had, with you guys on Ducato as I only had the one a 1997 Fiat Ducato 2.8 TDi Maxi version rated at 122hp which I serviced for a customer for some years and then when they upgraded? to Citroen Relays I bought the Ducato and fitted the engine in my boat, it was one of the last pre ECU as I felt water and computers didn't match. After a bit of mild adjustment? I was able to get that engine to almost equal the performance of the original Volvo Penta 150Hp V6 petrol, but with less than half the fuel consumption , so well pleased and totally reliable any day of the four years I owned it before selling on.;)
I did have to fit a clutch on one of my customers 2.8 Sofim engined Citroen Relays an 05 and from memory was a pig to separate the gearbox due the the "pull off " cable clutch operation meaning there was a special tool to extract the clutch release arm pivot to enable the bearing to stay in the pressure plate to assist removal. At the time not even the local Citroen Dealer had that extractor.
The reason I mention the Citroen is I think it is a "brother/sister" to the similar age Ducato.;)

Yes my first Iveco Daily was a 1996-97 2.5 Indirect injection 80Hp 3.5 tonne van with crawler "dog leg" first gear non turbo, subsequently I had the Direct injection 2.8s which were all turbo and then later intercooled greatly improved acceleration and economy. They were all 3.5 tonne and some twin wheel so not to concerned about top speed, but well able to carry that weight and tow a trailer of equal weight. The last ones were 2.8JTD 130Hp the Daily 35C13, the 35 was the weight in tonnes, the C was the twin wheel as opposed to the S which was the single wheel and the 13 was 130Hp.
Economy wise they averaged around 24mpg even with a full load towing so I felt that was good. I did have an extended long wheel base van with the later 2.3 DOHC which returned 28mpg, but was single wheel and towing weight was less I recall.
I can't compare any knowledge I may have had, with you guys on Ducato as I only had the one a 1997 Fiat Ducato 2.8 TDi Maxi version rated at 122hp which I serviced for a customer for some years and then when they upgraded? to Citroen Relays I bought the Ducato and fitted the engine in my boat, it was one of the last pre ECU as I felt water and computers didn't match. After a bit of mild adjustment? I was able to get that engine to almost equal the performance of the original Volvo Penta 150Hp V6 petrol, but with less than half the fuel consumption , so well pleased and totally reliable any day of the four years I owned it before selling on.;)
I did have to fit a clutch on one of my customers 2.8 Sofim engined Citroen Relays an 05 and from memory was a pig to separate the gearbox due the the "pull off " cable clutch operation meaning there was a special tool to extract the clutch release arm pivot to enable the bearing to stay in the pressure plate to assist removal. At the time not even the local Citroen Dealer had that extractor.
The reason I mention the Citroen is I think it is a "brother/sister" to the similar age Ducato.;)
Yes, very few differences between the Fiat/Pug/Citroen ducato based vehicles except the French offered two versions of the pug/Ford engine and, of course, the badges

Yes, very few differences between the Fiat/Pug/Citroen ducato based vehicles except the French offered two versions of the pug/Ford engine and, of course, the badges
I have a 2010 Fiat Scudo which has the 2litre Peugeot 16 valve engine and I know the Peugeot Expert used it, I believe the 2.2 (2198cc) was the Peugeot /Ford Transit one. Did Peugeot use the Fiat Sofim 2.3 and 3 litre in the the Boxer? I know there is a 3 litre Peugeot Boxer but I don't know what engine it uses.

I have a 2010 Fiat Scudo which has the 2litre Peugeot 16 valve engine and I know the Peugeot Expert used it, I believe the 2.2 (2198cc) was the Peugeot /Ford Transit one. Did Peugeot use the Fiat Sofim 2.3 and 3 litre in the the Boxer? I know there is a 3 litre Peugeot Boxer but I don't know what engine it uses.
Wikipedia only mentions the Iveco engine.

Yes, the 2.2 pug/Ford engine was used, with the associated broken turn pious….the 3.0 l was/is the Fiat/iveco/FPT engine

Back