Driver dies after posting selfies

Currently reading:
Driver dies after posting selfies

If your caught doing it in a HGV the senior traffic commissioner Beverley Bell will personally suspend your licence.

Sounds good to me.

Where is this referred to though?

I could only see reference on you.gov to the max fine for coach drivers, and no reference to this sanction....

Cheers.

Sounds good to me.

Where is this referred to though?

I could only see reference on you.gov to the max fine for coach drivers, and no reference to this sanction....

Cheers.

We were told this by a traffic policeman who visited one of our CPC courses.

We were told this by a traffic policeman who visited one of our CPC courses.

I wonder then why the you.gov site makes no reference to it?

That is a pretty serious sanction that you would think was more widely available in the public domain.

Ps what's a CPC course?:)

All HGV/PSV drivers must have completed 35 hours of training and have obtained a CPC drivers card by 10th September 2014 or they can no longer drive on UK/European roads.

Certificate of Professional Competence.

Reactions: MJG
All HGV/PSV drivers must have completed 35 hours of training and have obtained a CPC drivers card by 10th September 2014 or they can no longer drive on UK/European roads.

Certificate of Professional Competence.

A quick google refers to a three week ban, I'm not sure that is deterrent enough if correct, did your traffic cop refer to something longer and more substantial.

:)

I have no sympathy for anybody getting fined (or whatever) for using a mobile while driving, you can get a bluetooth head set for less than £20 anywhere in the world, so there is absolutely no excuse, I also believe bluetooth should be as mandatory in new cars as seatbelts are.

How did we all survive without mobile phones :confused:

In the best part of 10 years on the road, i've never needed to make a call at the wheel, never even felt the urge to. What's wrong with waiting until you stop to make or recieve a call (or call someone back)?

In the best part of 10 years on the road, i've never needed to make a call at the wheel, never even felt the urge to. What's wrong with waiting until you stop to make or recieve a call (or call someone back)?

I think it all comes down to the sort of driving you do. Long distance vs town driving. I'll never make an outbound call in an urban area, but if on a long motor jaunt then have no reservations making an outbound call if required to update someone of my ETA etc.

I kinda have to agree. We are all spoilt and far too impatient. I'm guilty too.

Last edited:
A quick google refers to a three week ban, I'm not sure that is deterrent enough if correct, did your traffic cop refer to something longer and more substantial.

:)

We were told our licence would be suspended pending investigation, however long that takes.

Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, I don't know, but if I lost my phone tomorrow I wouldn't care. If people want me, they'll find me. Ban phone use in cars, even Bluetooth, and also ciggy smoking - the number of prats I see juggling a phone n fag is crazy.

They have devices which can block mobiles - so why not install a weak version into the door pillar above the driver & wire it into the body computer - so it can't be tampered with.
I wonder if you could also incorporate some sort of device into the dash which could detect the presence of a mobile signal so that the only way you could make/take calls would be if the phone was on the dash & bluetooth was on - paired to a speaker/mic attached to the door pillar along with the blocker?
With technology as it is, you could also maybe limit call duration - so a rep couldn't spend their whole time talking on the phone, getting into deep discussions. perhaps 10 minute call with a 10 minute break? (for example)

Auch well.

Absolutely. Obviously i have full sympathy for her friends and family as well as relief for everybody that passed her or was nearby at the time that she didn't injure them or even take them out with her.

Bad things happen to stupid people eventually, some are lucky that they live to tell the tale and hopefully learn their lesson, some aren't. If you take the risk and die a fools death, that's your own damn fault.

Talking of stupid.
When you're doing 140mph, it's probably best to keep your eye on where you're going & not where you've been...

Darwin in action

quite.

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the phone/camera that was taken on to withstand that and keep recording

I'm already thinking it should be used in an advert with a slogan of "This camera will keep working, even when your brain stops"

Gruesome but effective.

They have devices which can block mobiles - so why not install a weak version into the door pillar above the driver & wire it into the body computer - so it can't be tampered with.

Main reason is because they're illegal to use in the UK.

Will also then block signal of everything around it, passengers phones, pedestrians etc, and even trackers etc - which isn't too handy if the car has been stolen and you're trying to track it.

First question: I can't remember but when I retire I'm going toss mine!

Second question: If or when you get your mobile bought and bills paid by your employers you realise it's for a reason.

I had my first company mobile in 1988 complete with hands free kit, since then I've taken literally thousands of calls on hands free, and have never had an accident while making a call, I currently drive around 70,000km a year and just checked my mobile to see that yesterday in one 42 minute trip I spent 23 minutes in calls... I'll let you do the maths!

BTW, I also have a RoSPA Gold drivers and rider certificate, which I recommend as it the training probably gives me an edge in road awareness.

First question: I can't remember but when I retire I'm going toss mine!

Second question: If or when you get your mobile bought and bills paid by your employers you realise it's for a reason.

I had my first company mobile in 1988 complete with hands free kit, since then I've taken literally thousands of calls on hands free, and have never had an accident while making a call, I currently drive around 70,000km a year and just checked my mobile to see that yesterday in one 42 minute trip I spent 23 minutes in calls... I'll let you do the maths!

BTW, I also have a RoSPA Gold drivers and rider certificate, which I recommend as it the training probably gives me an edge in road awareness.

Personally, If any company demands i 100% must use the phone whilst driving (hands free or otherwise), that's when i'd be looking for another job. But that's just me. I know for some that is neither an option or perhaps even a wish given how boring some people find driving. (i love it, so perhaps that's why i never have an urge to phone anyone :p)

I don't have a problem with folk using hands free kits though, i just personally have no need for it, everyone is aware i don't use the phone driving. But to say Hands free should be standard fitted mandatory like seatbelts, to me is crazy and even a sad sign of the times. Remember when we had cars that drove without automatic everything? i miss that :(

I can see WHY compulsory standard hands free could be suggested as a way to stop idiots doing stupid things, but it's still not going to stop folk texting, taking selfies, videos, making tweets or status updates etc so A) not only is it pandering to the ridiculous impatient nature of our time making a new problem of throwing tech at an issue to "solve" a problem that shouldn't exist is folk were sensible (as well as it indirectly encouraging making calls whilst driving), it's B) Not really going to solve that much of the problem anyway, as mentioned earlier it's a much bigger problem than people just talking on the phone.

1st Question: I had my first company mobile (with fitted hands free) in 1988, I can't remember, but when I retire I'll toss it and let you know! :D:D:D

2nd: I drive around 70,000km a year and have taken thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of calls over the years, just checked and in a 45 minute trip yesterday I had 5 incoming and 3 outgoing calls time on the mobile (total time=18 minutes), my phone and bill are paid for by my employer...Go figure.

I've also taken, and passed with Gold Standard, the RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders Certificate, perhaps that gives me an edge, but I've honestly never had an accident while on a call, apart from a dim witted kid hitting me up the ar$e while I was parked, he might have been on his mobile but I never thought to check!

IF somebody could un-invent the mobile then great, but until such time the reality is that they're part of modern life, which is why I feel manufacturers should be forced to factory fit bluetooth into all new vehicles.

Last edited:
We were told our licence would be suspended pending investigation, however long that takes.

Cheers, hopefully these investigations will take a significant amount of time then..:D

I honestly don't understand the mentality an HGV driver who will risk their lively hood (and life of course) just for the sake of sending a text or making a call....madness.

Last edited:
Main reason is because they're illegal to use in the UK.

Will also then block signal of everything around it, passengers phones, pedestrians etc, and even trackers etc - which isn't too handy if the car has been stolen and you're trying to track it.

It's also illegal to drive with a mobile pinned to your ear.
It's also 'illegal' to drive without due care and attention.
It's also illegal to kill someone.

And BTW, I did say "install a weak version" - in other words, not some sort of doomsday device that can take out whole city blocks, or fry the brains of anyone sat beside it, but something which would create a 'dead spot' or interference within the immediate area - just enough to prevent mobiles being held.

Back