Technical Draining of Fuel Filter Water Reservoir | 2010 Ducato 2.3L

Currently reading:
Technical Draining of Fuel Filter Water Reservoir | 2010 Ducato 2.3L

Jhilder98

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to guide me on the method for draining the water out of my fuel filter reservoir. I bought my 2010 Ducato 3 days ago from a used car dealership and the "water detected in fuel filter" warning light has already appeared. Guessing that the water has gotten into the fuel tank due to condensation on the inside walls of the tank while it sat in the yard at the dealership (fuel tank was nearly empty upon purchase). I've heard from a mechanic that there may be a specific method to relieving the water from the filter reservoir via the drain valve to avoid issues with the reservoir volume sensor? If anyone knows anything about this o, your help will be greatly appreciated! Please see photo of my fuel filter attached to identify which type of filter it is...

Thanks,
Jack.

Attachments

• 104111114_262394978158388_2239400548604687665_n.jpg
    104111114_262394978158388_2239400548604687665_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 473
Jack,

I performed a similar operation, when changing the almost identical filter on my 2006 2.8JTD two days ago.

At the top of the filter there is a return hose to the tank. It may be helpful to release this to let air in. To release connector the white collar needs to be pushed towards the filter body. I have found the following post very helpful.
https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/357165-x250-ufi-fuel-filter-service.-part-i.html#post3544661

I found it easier to remove the pipe, after I first used a screwdriver to VERY gently lever between the black flange on the pipe, and the white collar. This broke the seal between the pipe and the filter cap.

At the lower front of the filter there is a drain spigot. Position and secure a suitable container under this spigot, possibly interposing a short drain pipe. Above the spigot is the white plastic drain plug. Partially unscrew this plug with a suitable screwdriver (<6mm long taper on point fits best).
Water/fuel should eventually flow into your container. When water has been removed tighten drain plug.

To replace the pipe at the filter top, just push in firmly.

The other possibility to consider, would be a faulty sensor.

Fiat docato 2009 starts ok runs till the engine gets to temperature stutter but keeps running engine light comes on.
After a minute runs fine 😳

Back