Technical Door Mirror Gass replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Door Mirror Gass replacement

Macwalsh

Evening all,

Anyone know whats involved in replacing the glass in a door mirror? The silver backing on my passenger side mirror has decided that it doesnt want to stay attached to the glass anymore so I have a wing mirror with what is essentialy a glass viewing panel rather than a mirror. Does the glass just pull out? I have had a quick look at the unit in the dark this evening and cant see any obvious way of removing the original glass, and didnt want to break it.

Cheers guys - your help is greatly appreciated, as always.

Andy

I think some people here mentioned you have to move the glass so its at its most extreem angle. Ie. use the mirror adjustor to bring one edge close to the edge of the whole unit. Not sure what you do after there, but im sure someone will be along to explain!

When the mirror glass is still intact then the quickest and easiest way is to use the correct for your model stick on replacement mirror. Just clean the old mirror and stick the new one on top. Make sure you line it up to be exactly in the right place with clearance all around the outside otherwise the mirror may collide with the outer casing when you try to move it. Otherwise, it's just a 1 minute job

Last edited:
When the mirror glass is still intact then the quickest and easiest way is to use the correct for your model stick on replacement mirror. Just clean the old mirror and stick the new one on top. Make sure you line it up to be exactly in the right place with clearance all around the outside otherwise the mirror may collide with the outer casing when you try to move it. Otherwise, it's just a 1 minute job

What about the heating element? If I stick a replacement glass over the top then won't I lose the heating function? (not the end of the world admittedly) Incidentaly, I tried moving the mirror over as far as it would go and then pulling it out of the housing - the glass is now cracked as well as having very little reflective backing :bang:

I changed my drivers side last week as the heating element broke.
I adjusted the mirror so i was nearly looking at myself while sitting in drivers seat. ie. towards the car. This gives just enough room to squeeze a couple of fingers behind the glass. Then just slowly increase the pressure and the glass will pop out of its mountings.
If you've brought a genuine replacement ( i used a lucus one) then you can see the clips on the back before you start so you know what to expect.
Reattach the new glass by offering it into place and pushing around the centre until the 2 or 3 clips pop into place.
Job done!

Interesting!!
I've recently discovered my drivers side heater malfunction and i was still wondering how the heck am i going to pop it out without breaking it.

I had bad experience on a Idea (same wing mirrors as ours) and made me think it twice!

Interesting!!
I've recently discovered my drivers side heater malfunction and i was still wondering how the heck am i going to pop it out without breaking it.

I had bad experience on a Idea (same wing mirrors as ours) and made me think it twice!

Yeah I've just had a "bad experience" with mine - it certainly didnt just pop out - I never knew a wing mirror could break into so many pieces. Still, at least its out!!!

Thanks for the hints 'n' tips guys, but in the end I had to break it to get it out.

Andy

Back