Technical doblo airbag ring / clock spring disconnected

Currently reading:
Technical doblo airbag ring / clock spring disconnected

SAABstu

I need to replace the airbag ring on my 2007 doblo cargo. A fairly simple job it seemed.... However i have tried and tried and cannot for the life of me remove the airbag from the steering wheel. So i've hit a brick wall and am going to have to drive it to a garage and get them to do it.

The two pin connector where the airbag ring connects to the van's loom is broke (hence why im changing it).
So i have to drive the van with it disconnected. Is this safe to do so (apart from the obvious point of the airbag not working). Will it trigger a fault that then has to be cleared by someone with the correct diagnostic tool? Can I get around that by pulling the airbag fuse?

Thanks in advance.

Ok.

Lets scrub that and stick to the basics.

Can anybody advise how to remove the airbag of a 2007 doblo cargo.

Fuse for airbag has been pulled, clock spring is disconnected from the loom and battery has currently been disconnected for the last 5 days.

Really dont want to re-connect the battery to drive to a garage just so they can press a spring clip to release the airbag for me.

I have the steering wheel with the two small rubber grommets on either side.

got all of the above done yesterday.

Somehow my dad got the airbag off with the screwdriver through the grommet holes and me pulling it forward. A case of brute force and ignorance, rather than figuring out the technique.

Steering wheel was held in with a system that I'd not seen on any of the online guides. There were 2 very thin (not much thicker than washers) nuts stacked on top of one another on the spline. These had some sort of metal clasp type washer clamping them together. I had to bend all the splines off (they all broke off in the end) to get a 22mm socket on the top nut, then after much cursing managed to get the 2nd nut off with an old AF socket.

New airbag ring fitting was straight forward.

Back