General diesel cinq thoughts

Currently reading:
General diesel cinq thoughts

jaydr

the man without a plan
ive been looking at the various threads about diesel powering a cinq or sei and i think the potential for a seriously quick cinq is definately there, if not the quickest cinq ever :yum:

now im not too clued up on the JTD powerplants but i have experienced what diesel power is capable of in my friends old fabia VRS with not too much effort (hybrid turbo, kevlar clutch etc) he was getting around 250 bhp and over 420 lb.ft of torque while returning 40 mpg when driven normally :yum:

now i know theres not much in the way of space in the front but maybe a midship would be an answer?

i cant imagine what a cinq/sei would be like with that level of grunt but i bet very little would keep up with it :D

any thoughts guys?

cheers
jay

mid engine diesel + cinq/sei + **** loads of torque = wheelies.....

May be hard to keep the front end down. The new fabia vrs has a 1.4 diesel engine, with 180 bhp... its turbo'd and super charged. Ideally a small diesel engine up front would be ideal, powering out of corners will cause mayhem with all the weight and torque pushing the car.

Rear wheel drive is best for motorsport, or big cars. The safest, most reliable and all weather drive is front wheel.

been there done that.
rather have a car for winter and bikes for summer (got a ducati monster and an ccm r30)

Fairplay, I used to have an Aprillia RS50, RS125, and a ZXR400. Now just left with a car. Mind you this is my 5th car in 6 years...

Fairplay, I used to have an Aprillia RS50, RS125, and a ZXR400. Now just left with a car. Mind you this is my 5th car in 6 years...

wow my current cinq makes 27 in 7 years lol i get bored far too easy lol

back to the thread and i was thinking about this but there is a serious amount of work involved in doing a deisel conversion and to be honest you have to pic the engine very very carefully, lets face it, if you stick a 1.5tdi corsa engine in its soooooo not going to be worth it, but a 1.4vrs fabia motor mmmmmmmmm take out shares in toyo or yokohama or maybe bridgestone cos it will be smoking from more than just the exhaust

going mid-engine i can see why you would be tempted but to be honest if i was doing an MR cinq it would have to be a V6 petrol or a very big turbo lump, an MR cinq deisel would be such a let down cos just when you have wound the engine up...........oops time to change up

ok pop quiz can anyone name a mid engined deisel sports car thats not a prototype?????
and with out using google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
id be tempted to use a 1.9 PD engine (like the old fabia vrs) due to the capabilities of that engine but id try to be true to the car and see what the fiat jtd engines have to offer (i have heard they can be quite tunable) but i agree midship screams big engine i was just thinking it opens up some flexibility to what diesel you can put in. If it was to be a big mid engined monster Id also like to use the vw v10 tdi lump, now that would be very interesting!

i did say no prototypes lol the audi and peugeot although a road engine aren't actually road legal lol

i know of 1 but its still in proto stages so it dont count

Audi R8 V12tdi 6.0 bi-turbo

i saw a video on youtube of the prototype of the diesel r8...........on fire!!! lol

Diesels scare me. not something id like to mess with! fuel pressures are scary. we are talking thousands of bar of pressure.
a pin hole leak anywhere would shoot a beam of diesel that would be near to invisible, if that came near you it would blast thru flesh without any problem.

yep a diesel is really nice to dive but it doesnt rev around very well, my 1.3 panda on the counter shows 7,000 but never been past 4,500 as its not the pieces sound lol

Ash

the fiats are really tunable. the 1.9 is 130 standard but just a moderate remap can see 170 and a shed of torque. more if you want to strip clutches.

the 1.3 easy remap is 130bhp same figres as the 1.9. all of these better than the ford engines but abit below the germans.

id be fine with a diesel, low torque is fun and the gear ratios mean only reving to 5k isnt a massive problem or you could do 20-150mph in second lol

arnt the 1.3 fiat diesls fire based so the mounts would work. its just the managment/loom side plus fueling????

well just had a look at my diesel engine and i don't think it is based on a fire engine in the slightest :p

as the engine is 16v, chain driven and there are alot more but my mind has just gone blank

but if the bottom end was based on a fire engine that would be a stronger crank and rods:yum::yum: maybe if i can find a scrap one about

Ash

Back