Technical dent by jacking point

Currently reading:
Technical dent by jacking point

Whilst changing to my winter wheels a neighbour passed by and was chatting, I lost a bit of concentration and sadly the jack slipped and I put a dent in the sill:bang: I'm assuming this is a bodyshop job, anyone else have any words of wisdom?e.g. tell the neighbour to go away whilst doing stuff:D Cheers, JB

Whilst changing to my winter wheels a neighbour passed by and was chatting, I lost a bit of concentration and sadly the jack slipped and I put a dent in the sill:bang: I'm assuming this is a bodyshop job, anyone else have any words of wisdom?e.g. tell the neighbour to go away whilst doing stuff:D Cheers, JB

Photo?

Maybe just ignore it..........

See if this works! Photo.........(not a very good one though(n)) John B

Attachments

• DSC_6502.jpg
    DSC_6502.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 208
Either ignore or bodyshop (unless you are talented enough to do it yourself).

Ouch! Condolences.

At least you got your dent for free. Some folks have had to pay money to the trade to get their sills dented as well as that.

My main concern about a repair would be if, a few years down the line, some MOT tester found some filler & thought it had been repaired due to corrosion damage - which would likely get you a fail in that position on the car.

Thanks for the replies, I take your point about filler etc, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar repair done, I guess its a bodyshop job, I believe they drill pilot hole insert a gadget and pull it out, not something I'm able to do, any other thoughts? Cheers John B

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar repair done...

Probably a few 500 owners who've gone to one of the fast fit places for a tyre change :rolleyes:. The outer sills are very fragile and quite easily damaged - just lifting with a trollrey jack at the arrowed jacking points on the sill can be sufficient.

Reading this won't help fix the dent, but it might keep you from getting another. The photos show a 500, but there are safe jacking points on the Panda in exactly the same places.

The "drill a small hole & pull out the dent" is quite effective - at a pinch you can do it with an allen key & mole grips - & in that position, is a reasonable DIY undertaking if you don't mind using perhaps a bit more filler than a professional might need. As long as you make sure you don't pull any metal proud of the line of the finished repair, you'll be fine if you work carefully & take your time.

Last edited:
Wheeler Dealers showed a new dent removal technique a while back, "keys" are spot welded to the dented area then pulled out to remove the dent without the need to drill holes and use a slide hammer.

Then you grind off the spot welds, which, with the welding and subsequent grinding have destroyed the adjacent paintwork and the internal protective coating, and then you fill, shape and re spray.
Think I'd rather use the old, cold system of a small hole or two and a dent puller.

I think the keys just twist off individually so there's minimal grinding and the interior protective coating could be restored by injecting some fresh protectant.
You're going to have to remove the paint in the damaged area before filling either way and drilling holes is going to compromise the zinc coating so it's a swings and roundabouts sort of thing.
Perhaps removing the paint with a chemical stripper, so you don't damage the galvanising and just filling the dent is the way to go, as long as you can sand down the filler without going through the zinc.
Alternatively you could leave the dent and just hide it by fitting the accessory plastic side skirts!
http://www.fiat-accessories.com/fiat-panda-side-skirts-1

Last edited:
I wouldn't drill it as it is going to remove paint and how are you going to prevent the inside from rusting?
I would leave it unless there is a way to pull it out without drilling.

Back